Search the forum,

Discuss Tile backer board recommendations in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi again.
Any recommendations on a lightweight, reasonably priced tile backer board? Preferably at least 800mm wide.
Ideally 2400 X 800 or larger
Ta

The only tile backer boards I know are the cement hardie type ones and I wouldn't want to be moving a 2.4m one around much.
I've not used any composite ones and not even seen any the kinda size your after.
Google thew up some 2500 x 600 ones tho?...

You will struggle to find boards that size and in my opinion there not necessary as it hard to transport them and they are easily damaged , so its better to fit smaller manageable sheets , Uheat have them in stock . Kop

Attachments

• PXL_20210920_150327101.jpg
    PXL_20210920_150327101.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 12
I cant really get my head around the best thing to do to be honest. The situation is as follows. I have a shower enclosure which is slightly too small for the new shower tray. In a way this works to my advantage. I think. Why, because I stupidly bought 3mm wet wall panels. I didn't forsee the issues this would cause. (The panels not being thick enough to overlap the tray sufficiently)
Because I have very carefully chased out the plasterboard along two of the walls(the RHS and the rear wall) I can slot the tray onto these channels which then allows the 3mm panels to sit nicely on top of the tray and overlap it by around 5mm. However, this means that I have a gap between the tray and the wall on the LHS. I have bought an Aquaseal tanking kit to tank the walls and floor. I wanted to buy a lightweight tile backing board to place over the tray at the LHS. Therefore ensuring that the tray is overlapped. Much like a 8mm of tile adhesive, plus a 10mm wall tile would overlap the shower tray. I have prepped the channels with primer and will start coating the channels with the waterproofing. Obviously down to the floor.
I can't get my head around whether to...
1. Tank the walls down to and including the original floor.
Or
2. Tank down the walls and on to the OSB 3 board that will support the tray.

And on the LHS, do I tank down the original plastered wall to the original floor.

And the backer board that will only be fitted on the LHS... should I actually be tanking that instead instead of the plastered wall?
In my mind, in this application, should I be looking at the backer board as simply the bed of adhesive under the tiles. Just something to make up the gap?
If this is case, do i just buy some moisture resistant plasterboard and tank that. Although it wouldn't reach the OSB3 deck or the original floor.
Are you confused? 😆🤣
I am!

D

Attachments

• 16657372676923055129668200537347.jpg
    16657372676923055129668200537347.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 13
6mm Shower board on the left hand side down to the floor good quality silicone around 3 sides , tuck tray into groove and lower slowly push into place and tool off leave to cure . 👍

Hi. I didn't really want a heavy Hardie Backer. I did find these STS backer boards from Wickes. (I need a board that I can pick up from a shop) They appear to be lightweight and they are not being used with porous tiles/grout, but instead wall panels.
5hanks for your input by the way

Hi. I didn't really want a heavy Hardie Backer. I did find these STS backer boards from Wickes. (I need a board that I can pick up from a shop) They appear to be lightweight and they are not being used with porous tiles/grout, but instead wall panels.
5hanks for your input by the way
They will do the job bud 👍

I would sit tray in a centered position between left and right walls.
I’d then use foam core tile backer board on left and right walls (ideally all 3).
Then I’d seal the bottom of boards to tray with backer board sealant.
Then tape and seal all backer board joints and corners with liquid membrane (mapei tanking paste).
The boards are water resistant so not 100% needed but I’d then paint the whole lot with tanking paste.

If you need to dot/dab any boards to bring them out, dab it, attach board, then insert screw but don’t fully tighten screw until the dabs have dried.

Reply to Tile backer board recommendations in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes sunk into wall behind bath. Walls have fresh tiles. Have realised as about to fit shower these pipes one is set higher than the other. If you fit a...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock