Discuss Those of you with apprentices in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
im with ray on this the guy can obviously do some of the work or they wouldnt suggest sending hgim out alone should definitely be getting min wage
like ray i still dont belive there should be a minimum wage but when you hear of bosses who exploit you can see the need for it
this is probably the same boss who send out untrained guys to work on 35mm mains and then moans when it goes wrong

I'm not disagreeing with you Ray - in my first post on the matter I suggested that Jay should have negotiated a dual pay rate. I agree totally that he is being taken advantage of. But being a pragmatist, I feel that 40 hours at £2.80 whilst gaining experience and confidence is much better than sitting on the dole insisting on his fair rate of pay.

I think that its one of those things which one can agree with at the personal level, whilst deploring at the community level.

When you lose a job on price because Jay's new boss has gone in at a cut throat price based on his cheap labour... well, you know what I am saying.

I don't think we are disagreeing, just taking two sides of the same coin.

At the end of the day each man's contract is his own business. We all deplore Jay's bosses blatent disregard ot the employment law but at the moment Jay is happy.

The bottom line can be rengiatd

At the end of the day each man's contract is his own business.

Should be, but isn't. Our glorious government has seen fit to decree that some contracts may not be made - including those for labour below a certain rate per hour. (there are loads of other prohibitions on contracts otherwise freely entered into - try enforcing a gambling debt in the courts, or indeed a contract involving drugs, prostitution, indenture or a whole range of other things).

I think that its one of those things which one can agree with at the personal level, whilst deploring at the community level.

When you lose a job on price because Jay's new boss has gone in at a cut throat price based on his cheap labour... well, you know what I am saying.

I don't think we are disagreeing, just taking two sides of the same coin.

Agree totally. In principle I deplore what Jay's boss is doing. In this specific instance I'm very happy for Jay. I somehow get the feeling that Jay's boss won't be charging any less for his services despite paying him a pittance.

One would assume that to avoid this coming to the attention of HMRC that he will be paid in cash as well? If his boss is paying him through bank transfer and declaring his wage to HMRC properly then he is going to end up in the poo over this.

I cannot believe the boss has the total cheek to pay less than £3 per hour and get him to use his own van to be honest (even if diesel is included). It is completely taking advantage imo.

I absolutely hate people who don't follow the law and run their businesses illegally, undercutting all those of us who are honest decent people. I would happily shop someone if I heard they were doing this to be honest.

I actually feel very sorry for Jay to be honest as he is being taken advantage of massively and clearly can't get a better offer. Jay, I hope you stab the ******* in the back and go off and work on your own as soon as you feel ready to.

My apprentices are paid very well and looked after on the basis that happy staff are productive staff and are much less likely to be poached by competitors (they do still get the odd bollocking when they muck up but that's life). Employing people is a 2 way business and if they feel respected they tend to be loyal to you (well most people do). Shaft them like this and they will repay the favour over time.

Last edited:
One would assume that to avoid this coming to the attention of HMRC that he will be paid in cash as well? If his boss is paying him through bank transfer and declaring his wage to HMRC properly then he is going to end up in the poo over this.

I cannot believe the boss has the total cheek to pay less than £3 per hour and get him to use his own van to be honest (even if diesel is included). It is completely taking advantage imo.

I absolutely hate people who don't follow the law and run their businesses illegally, undercutting all those of us who are honest decent people. I would happily shop someone if I heard they were doing this to be honest.

I actually feel very sorry for Jay to be honest as he is being taken advantage of massively and clearly can't get a better offer. Jay, I hope you stab the ******* in the back and go off and work on your own as soon as you feel ready to.

My apprentices are paid very well and looked after on the basis that happy staff are productive staff and are much less likely to be poached by competitors (they do still get the odd bollocking when they muck up but that's life). Employing people is a 2 way business and if they feel respected they tend to be loyal to you (well most people do). Shaft them like this and they will repay the favour over time.

To be honest, at this moment in time I'm just grateful for the experience. i did 5 weeks unpaid so at least now i'm getting some pennies in the pocket and I get to do some jobs on my own to help build my confidence a little - as far as I'm aware it's paid legitimately as I was asked for my NI number and bank details. But I totally see your point, and that of everybody else. But what can I do? It's hard to learn, gain experience and earn money when you're new to the trade.

Jay careful 'the gas' isnt the proverbial carrot on the stick, that you work you ******** off for and never taste; I felt like that was the case in my previous job, the firm came through for me in the end though and sadly went bust just weeks after.
In all fairness I found really tough to get into this industry, and I would have also jumped straight in the deep end for an opportunity similar to yours. Infact I probably would have worked for free.
Good luck

Jay careful 'the gas' isnt the proverbial carrot on the stick, that you work you ******** off for and never taste; I felt like that was the case in my previous job, the firm came through for me in the end though and sadly went bust just weeks after.
In all fairness I found really tough to get into this industry, and I would have also jumped straight in the deep end for an opportunity similar to yours. Infact I probably would have worked for free.
Good luck

I thought the same thing when the 'call' was made - but I know he's put others through to get their gas so I'm looking on the positive and telling myself I'm no different. I'm not allowing myself to hold on to the hope though - I'll believe it when I see it. And if it doesn't happen I still get to gain the experience I'm looking for so it's a win for me and for him. Plus, I'm on the bottom rung of the plumbing ladder so my main concern right now is getting my hands dirty with that - I'll worry about the gas later on ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Those of you with apprentices in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock