Discuss Those of you with apprentices in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have had an apprentice for 3 months now. He is doing ok, and just ok. I have put a lot of time in to teaching him etc but at the moment the only real thing he is good for is tidying up and getting the tools. Last night I get a text message at 9.30 which reads "Alright mate have just been thinking, iv been with you a while now and I think I have progressed a lot in that time so id like to suggest a raise in wages please mate. Lemme know what you think"

He is on £3.30 an hour, so above the minimum wage for a first year apprentice, but he certainly doesn't earn me any more than I pay him in a week. To be honest the cheek of asking has really wound me up. He has been far from the model employee to date and I have given him possibly more chances than I should have done. Examples of this are taking breaks for cigarettes when it has been made clear that the only time for smoking is lunch time, after doing any small amount of physical work I have caught him just sitting around having a break or walking off to the shop, not being ready when I pick him up from his house in the mornings. I am now thinking about getting rid of him if this is a sign of things to come. I never once asked for a pay rise while I was an apprentice, I was happy for the opportunity to be taught the trade I wanted to do.

Anyone had a similar experience and how did you deal with it?

Three months isn't long enough to either be able to be in a position to help you that much or be asking for a pay rise in all honesty.

How old is he, you getting subsidised?

Few thoughts come to mind :-
firstly a bollocking for txting at 9.30 pm on a Saturday night, for not having the balls to ask to your face needing his mates to egg him on.

Then tell him to give up the **** and save £10 a day. He probably could earn more now stacking shelves, but in 10 years time he will still be stacking.

i dont have an apprentice and to be honest i dont think i ever will. The youth nowadays dont want to learn .. they just want an easy ride. I had a tough time as an apprentice because i really wanted to learn but the guys i was put with were on price work and were too greedy to show me much .. just a gopher for first 2 years .. but that made me more determined to learn .. do that to a young un now and they will just huff off.

Heard a tale from a bloke round here where his apprentice was selling his tools from back of van while he was working inside!

Good young lads are hard to come by and i think in your case mate id bin him off.

"Pay rise!? I was thinking of laying you off to be honest."
He's put in his place and you've made it clear you're not happy with his performance. If he sticks his bottom lip out and quits it tells you everything you need to know. Job done.

Sit him down and tell him exactly what you've written here. He obviously has a far higher opinion of himself than he ought to, and he needs to be told a few home truths.

I'd have more respect for someone if they started the conversation by asking "How do you think I'm progressing? I was wondering if I deserved a bit of a pay rise?" Rather than telling you he thinks he deserves one! Cheeky little so-and-so!

Three months isn't long enough to either be able to be in a position to help you that much or be asking for a pay rise in all honesty.

How old is he, you getting subsidised?

He is 17, I have not yet applied for the grant from the government so at the moment every penny I pay him is costing me money. No he shouldn't be asking for a pay rise until about a year in if at all. I am by no means an overly harsh boss, he gets picked up and dropped to his door 99% of the time, he has had a fair few 2pm finishes and still got a full days money. I just expect good time keeping and a level of respect shown.

Few thoughts come to mind :-
firstly a bollocking for txting at 9.30 pm on a Saturday night, for not having the balls to ask to your face needing his mates to egg him on.

Then tell him to give up the **** and save £10 a day. He probably could earn more now stacking shelves, but in 10 years time he will still be stacking.

I got the text when I was in the pub last night and to be honest I had to hold back telling him not to bother coming in to work on Monday, it really wound me up. He is going to be getting a bollocking for it first thing Monday and his reaction to it will more than likely decide his fate. When ever he is picked up on doing anything wrong he goes on the defensive and will never apologise, so a reaction like that will be the end of him.

I know £3.30 is not a lot of money today, but its a lot more than I was getting 10 years ago and I had to pay to travel to work. it is also significantly over the minimum wage which he was told he would start on, but I decided to go a bit higher in the hope of getting a little more commitment. Not only that but it is an education first and a job second in my eyes.

Sit him down and tell him exactly what you've written here. He obviously has a far higher opinion of himself than he ought to, and he needs to be told a few home truths.

I'd have more respect for someone if they started the conversation by asking "How do you think I'm progressing? I was wondering if I deserved a bit of a pay rise?" Rather than telling you he thinks he deserves one! Cheeky little so-and-so!

Yeah he clearly is getting a bit cocky and that is not a trait I like in someone. I couldn't actually believe he said "id like to suggest a raise in wages". I would like to suggest he picks his tools up and does on haha.

Once given a bollocking infront of the trainee when the MD saw him sitting on his arse, was told it was up to me to keep him busy not the other way round so I made him find me after completeing every task and he had to tell me if he wanted to go to the shops or there would be hell to pay.
As for the text I would ignore it and when he asks tell him that these things are done face to face and bring up the point of being ready to roll in the mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Those of you with apprentices in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock