Search the forum,

Discuss Thorn Apollo, pilot will not light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi everyone,

Been to look at a Thorn Apollo tonight, 30/50b. The pilot will light if I hold in the gas valve button and press the ignition button but goes out as soon as the valve button is released, holding it in long enough but it doesn't want to know.

Thermocouple looks ropey.

Have tried lighting lots of times according to instructions but makes no difference.

I'm thinking thermocouple, is there anything else it could be?

Thanks

Thermo or gas valve most likely thermo normally bell on the end if fecked

Thanks, I actually said thermo or gas valve to cust. Will give price in the morning.

I dont know the boiler but just check the pilot jet is not full of ****

I'd change the overheat stat and leads at the same time as the t/c, can also be the gas valve (normally a green button so very old). Go down the thermocouple and o/h stat rout first, then tell them to get rid of the old boiler!!!

Good shout about the overheat stat, think it interrupts the thermocouple. I haven't seen one of these boilers in a few years though

Good shout about the overheat stat, think it interrupts the thermocouple. I haven't seen one of these boilers in a few years though
Yup, good in their time but need to be in the bin now...... Had a massive shock off of one once when I bridged out the pump stat with the back of my hand!!!

Apologies for the delay in updating, the job was postponed while the cust went away.

Ok I replaced the thermocouple yesterday, relit the boiler no problem, turned the stat up boiler fires. Waited for CH to start circulating. All fine, went on my way. Had a phone call boiler has gone out same day and won't relight.

O/h stat?

If the over run stat is not working, the residual heat can cause the HLS to knock the pilot out.
If the Boiler stat is out of calibration or not working, that can do the same.
Both can be tested.

I'm going to have to pick parts up again, would I be correct in thinking I shouldn't need the gas valve?

Sometimes the old gas valve gets a bit sticky, just try flicking the green button a few times then relight but hold button in for a bit longer .

Thanks for the reply.

It's the gas valve with the round grey button.

I'm confused as the boiler would not stay alight at all. I could get the pilot to light but would go out straight away once valve button released.

Changed thermocouple, pilot lit as it should, stayed on as it should. Boiler fired up fine with heating demand, rads got hot. Then I got a phone call saying the boiler had gone out same day and cust can't relight. Going back Friday. Need to have it sorted.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm confused as the boiler would not stay alight at all. I could get the pilot to light but would go out straight away once valve button released.

Changed thermocouple, pilot lit as it should, stayed on as it should. Boiler fired up fine with heating demand, rads got hot. Then I got a phone call saying the boiler had gone out same day and cust can't relight. Going back Friday. Need to have it sorted.
Do the same have had this fault with the Honeywell valve , have one that I service every year, takes a wile for pilot to stay on just hold the button in for longer, Try removing button give it a squirt with WD and push it in a few times, common valve loads around

Thanks for the reply.

Did he thermocouple have an interrupter or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thorn Apollo, pilot will not light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock