Discuss Testing central heating system for sludge in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Is there a device where you can bleed the system water in to and look through it like a little tube and if you can see the
circle at the bottom its clean. If not it needs flushing.

Got any doubts have a strong magnet in the van. Copper cannot be magnetised but if you hold a magnet to bare copper pipe and it sticks to it you know there’s a build up of magnetite

Someone has been to the job. As apparently the person's boiler was banging. The plumber looked.in the magnaclean said was full of sludge and the system needs flushing. Every rad removing and flushing out.

Sludge or magnetite builds up due to corrosion. If the system is designed, installed and treated properly then very little to no sludge should ever form. If the system is as fouled as you say it is (which I don’t doubt you) then yes a proper power flush is needed but you also need to find the cause of the air ingress and rectify that.

If the boiler was banging because of sludge it would be the fact that the sludge is blocking the hex and pump?
Sludge can cause this yes but in order for sludge to cause that problem you would expect serious fouling. What’s the pipe layout? ie. vent, cold fill and pump locations.

Sludge can cause this yes but in order for sludge to cause that problem you would expect serious fouling. What’s the pipe layout? ie. vent, cold fill and pump locations.
I haven't looked yet. It's a sealed system so I have been told. Not a vented system and don't think it's previously been converted.

If it was bad enough on a system to cause this. Would it be pretty sludgy just bleeding a rad. I know sludge usually settles lower down

Combi or sys/ heat ?

Matt just take a sample out of the system then using one of these test kits send it through the post to them for chemical analysis you will receive a full report what contained in there, a quick inhibitor test kit is available, I wonder if it ever had inhibitor put in the system ? Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-071826.png
    Screenshot_20220205-071826.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220205-071956.png
    Screenshot_20220205-071956.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 11
Is hot water ok as the first to cop it is a plate normally

All I know is they called someone around as they said the boiler was banging. A plumber came around and said the magnaclean was full of sludge system needs flushing with ever rad taking off. Sounds like a coop out to me.

Reply to Testing central heating system for sludge in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after...
Replies
Views
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler...
Replies
Views
Back