Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Sudden Pressure drop in the whole system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Humpty

Good afternoon,

I noticed this a week or so ago but have kept putting it off thinking 'I'll ask later' but it's getting frustrating so let me describe the problem:

One evening I go for a shower and turn it on when I suddenly realise that the shower is only working at half pressure... I thought someone turned the tap on in the kitchen or something. The next day I made sure no one is using the water and turned on the tap... half pressure in the whole flat! when two taps are on or the toilet is refilling then water slows to a trickle. I have checked the meter outside in case there was a leak in the pipes somewhere but no, no leak. So why the drop in pressure? I'm not a plumber but I am technically minded.. ish... can someone give me some hints? Is calling a plumber unavoidable?

Thanks in advance guys!

first thing i would do is ask neighbours if they are experiencing same, it could be a leak external to your property boundary which is causing the drop. in which case call your water undertaker.

if neighbours are ok then it will be a localised problem but could still be caused by debris entering the system as a result of water companies works etc.

you did check the obvious....stop tap not been turned down by anyone??

Thanks for the reply! Should have said that I asked neighbours immediately and they said all was fine, no one in my flat touched the valves and the one outside was checked by me and it's on 100%. There is a valve in the bathroom but I cannot move it in any direction...

any mains work been done recently ?? have you got a pressure reducing valve fitted on your mains ?? or any filters which may have become blocked with debris ??

There was no work done to the property or the mains to my knowledge... I think the neighbours did some work upstairs but may not even be plumbing. About the filters... where would they be located?

at the meter or any pressure reducing valves you may have in your pipes, any type of valve which would have a filter inside it

Hmm... Looks like I am going to have to call the plumber on this one...

im only speculating mate but i would try the water board first before you call a plumber

Are there any tanks in your flat? What kind of boiler do you have?

I think we have a tiny one under the combi boiler... It's the cold water pressure that is low btw, as a consequence so is the hot

I think we have a tiny one under the combi boiler... It's the cold water pressure that is low btw, as a consequence so is the hot

Right so you have a combi, its just I've seen some flats plumbed so badly that all cold water (including kitchen tap) is from dirty old lid less tanks in the loft.

Any gassafe guys know what that small tank under the boiler is??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sudden Pressure drop in the whole system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock