Discuss Strange sewage smell coming from behind kitchen sink cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

So now everything is unblocked. How long would it normally take for the smell from behind the sink disappear. It’s not coming from the plug hole.

How long is a piece of string?

Unless you have some way of blasting fresh air through all the voids where the smell is lingering it will gradually diminish and lose a certain proportion of its concentration day-by-day.

My worry, and I'm always a pessimist when it comes to drains, would be that the root cause of the smell is a leaky drain and the blockage forced sewage out through the leak into the surrounding ground. If this is the case it will take as long as it takes for the ground to dry out.

If I owned this problem and the smell hung around for more than a week or so, I'd be considering having a CCTV inspection and a leak test. As I said, I am a bit of a pessimist, but a builder that left the drains in the condition you found them in is IME likely to have cut other corners. In these days of 'polluter pays', you really don't want to have a foul drain leaking into the ground for years.

U nfortunately there's definitely a bit of a problem there . It's just not possible to cut into an insepction chamber in that way. Debris will always be falling in and blocking the pipe (aided by rats), sewage will then be leaking out into the ground causing a potential health hazard.:oops: It will need sorting.

If that's soil that is visible between the white pipe and the black plastic you might want to think about sealing it to avoid any soil getting into the drains and causing another blockage

Also just another thought you want to make sure that whatever you sell it with rats can't get through (could get some wire mesh I'm there) as they're drawn to sewers and could cause even more problems.

As the integrity of the I/C has been breached significantly and the gas pipe has been exposed... I'm out... Good luck

So. A week or so has past and we’re waiting for the smell to disperse. A strange update that the smell is mainly concentrated to behind the sink and totally goes when the window is open. (But it’s not going out the window) comes back minutes after the window is shut. Strange.

Airflow is coming in the open window and pushing the smell back down behind the sink where there is an opening down to where the sewage leak is - the opening from which the sewage usually smell issues. Have you lifted the lids on that run again yet? I know I said i was out but I can't not see a problem through to the end.

Reply to Strange sewage smell coming from behind kitchen sink cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100%...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
I've had a Franke 1.5 sink fitted recently using their siphon 2 plumbing kit as part of a new kitchen installation. However, I now regularly get...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock