Discuss Strange sewage smell coming from behind kitchen sink cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

any help would be gratefully accepted. We’ve had a single storey extension to the rear with toilet. Now we have a strange sewage like odour coming from behind the kitchen sink but not this side of the trap. The sink waste along with the new bathroom waste all now go into the soil pipe which in turn is now enclosed in the extension. The soil stack is now a plastic one instead of a cast iron one which has a cap or air admittance valve on top. This has also been shortened by about 5 feet and no longer goes through the waves and onto the roof. There is also a new manhole which I haven’t checked if it’s blocked but I wouldn’t think so as it’s only weeks old. (I’ll lift the lid and check at the weekend) once again thanks for any help. Steve.

Thing is. We’ve also had the kitchen done and we didn’t notice the smell before. But there’s only 2 weeks difference in finishing times. Could it be the aav or kitchen fitter? Would A plumber be able to tell without ripping the plaster stud wall down to access the pipes?

Although just re reading things, I take it the AAV isn't where the bad smell is noticeable? In which case its probably more likely to be something else, but without being out there its hard to say. A plumber should be able to narrow it down to a few possibilities but from what you've said about your setup I doubt they'll be able to confirm let alone fix it without some plasterboard being removed I'm afraid./

The point PW is that the AAV will not let foul gases out not that its faulty. The point of a soils stack is to let air both in AND out. If its blocked by a poxy AAV then it WILL come out elsewhere. End of.

If this were my place, then I'd simply take the thing off first. If the problem goes away then get the builder back to repipe it properly to 1m above the nearest opening window as the regs say. AAVs are a rubbish builders bodge.

The point PW is that the AAV will not let foul gases out not that its faulty. The point of a soils stack is to let air both in AND out. If its blocked by a poxy AAV then it WILL come out elsewhere. End of.

If this were my place, then I'd simply take the thing off first. If the problem goes away then get the builder back to repipe it properly to 1m above the nearest opening window as the regs say. AAVs are a rubbish builders bodge.
Cheers I’ll remove that then as soon as I’m home. Then I suppose wait to see if the gases disperse.

Reply to Strange sewage smell coming from behind kitchen sink cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100%...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
I've had a Franke 1.5 sink fitted recently using their siphon 2 plumbing kit as part of a new kitchen installation. However, I now regularly get...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock