Search the forum,

Discuss Steel Pipe Size and Fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hot (gravity) and cold (mains) come into the bathroom via galvanised steel (iron?) pipes.

My first question is what size are these steel pipes? The pipe OD is about 21.5mm and the steel Tee body diameter is 26.4mm. I need to know this in case I need to buy some more brass iron couplings (1/2 or 3/4 inch).

Hot:
Pipe Connections 0.75-0.5.jpg

Cold:
Pipe Connections 0.5-0.5.jpg

Hot.

The short horizontal length of copper currently connected to the hot is OD 21mm so I assume it is 3/4 inch copper. I would like to replace this with new 22mm; can I use the same fitting with a 22mm olive?. The vertical is probably half inch and the same applies replacing it with 15mm?

Cold. Both pipes coming out from this are 15mm/half inch although I would like to replace one with 22mm assuming the steel has a greater capacity than 15mm as I will tee 3 taps off it.

If I need new couplings I assume I can use screwfix: Male Coupler 15mm x 1/2" (Code 69358); Male Coupler 15mm x 3/4" (Code 82086); Male Coupler 22mm x 3/4" (Code 63073) using PTFE around the threads.

or would I be better off undoing the steel tee and putting on a female coupling.

thanks

Attachments

• Pipe Connections 002.jpg
    Pipe Connections 002.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 61
copper pipes measure the OD

steel you measure the ID the both look 1/2" to me

Locktight 55 for the threads on iron with a generous smudge of jet blue (plumb center)!

Best use DZR fittings rather than regular brass seeing as they are in contact with steel. You will probably need to use some heat on the fitting to free off the old brassware.

Thanks, is there any benefit in stepping from the 1/2 inch steel to 22mm copper or do I save the pennies and run through to the bath in 15mm.The local Plumbase, screwfix and wickes do the couplings. How will I know if they are DZR and not brass.

if your doing a refurb, just rip it out and replace with copper, its probably about to terminally block in the near future anyhow

There are no copper to irons on the bottom of the iron tee so you couldn't do it all in copper. Id lesve the tee in and just fit new copper to male irons to top and center and then do new copper. That tee will last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Steel Pipe Size and Fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock