Discuss starting out self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyskint

im new to this forum so first off, hi everyone. I am currently half way through my city and guilds level 2 plumbing course having already completed the level one. I have tried and failed to find someone to take me on as an apprentice so I can get my NVQ 2 aswell as this was recomended by my college. I have now decided to start out on my own instead as this was my ultimate goal anyway. So far I have posted my business card in paper shop windows local to me, and intend to get in the yellow pages and local paper as well. Does anyone have any advice for someone just starting out. I also have made my first attempt at a website to promote my business. the address is andys plumbing services where I have detailed my intended pricing etc. Does £40 min per job and £20 per hour there after sound about right? Im worried about setting my proces too high as Im just starting out. My current experience outside of college practicals includes fixing various taps and toilets, fitting a hotwater solar panel to my own home and a grey water system to flush the toilets. I have also plumbed in but not used (no flue yet) a wood burner with back boiler and 4 rads and hot water. Is this enough to go it alone??? Im not yet gas safe (another 3 years at college) so wouldn't touch a boiler, but beyond this i hope ill be ok when the work starts coming in. any advice or comments would be very gratefully recieved.
many thanks
andy

Hi Andy

I have done the same as you. I found the best way to get work is get a load of flyers printed and drop them through your neighbourhood doors. Also go and see estate agents and letting agents, they are always looking for local reliable plumbers and if you can do any other handiwork that is a bonus. Also pester friends family etc for work and recommendations.

Also go to a local builder who might employ a few people as bricklayers, joiners, labourers etc . You often find they do not have a plumber on their pay roll and have to call someone in everytime. Alot of plumbers do not want to do small or medium size jobs for builders and you might find an opening there.

Good luck

Paul

Hi Andy,

Always be honest and work hard, explain things to the customer and always ask if their happy with what your doing whilst your doing it.

Aim to always use best engineering practice, never try to bodge something and cover it up. You will be caught out in the end, in my experience customers are very happy when you point things out that might need doing even if it will cost them more. They just want a good job done

You will get there mate if you stick at it

Im sorry to be the bearer of bad new mate but I would go out working for someone first. You sound way to early in your plumbing career to be out on your own. There are many, and I mean many problems that crop up when your doing anything to do with plumbing in a domestic property. Its not as bad if you a carpenter, sparky, or most other trades as when you make a small mistake you don't end up damaging everything around you. Water is very messy, and can damage most things it touches so unless you know exactly what your doing you can come massively unstuck. For instance when you trying to connect onto an existing plumbing system and you lift up the floorboards you need to be able to sort out what pipes what, and trust me it can get quite confusing when you come across systems that were put in before Noah built the ark and was put in in the dark. definite head scratchy stuff. so my personal opinion would be get some proper experience first. Just coz you heard plumbers are on footballers wages (trust me we ent) doesn't mean you can get an apprenticeship and start charging prices like that. someone with your experience should be on about £8 hour and not let loose in someones house. sorry to be a bit harsh but you just cant learn to be a plumber over night and think you can charge a plumbers wage.
So my advice would be get some experience under your belt 2-3 years then think about going out on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea im sorry too mate. i gotta agree with m&w on this one. Iv been doing it for ten years since i left school and just gone at it on my own. i do a little less work but am ten times more shattered at the end of the day. i thort i was ready years ago but so glad i didnt. talk about jumping in at the deep end if you do.
if you do decide to go for it, the best of luck to ya but please dont be fooled by the money people say you can get, its not there and never has been for me. its better than working on a till in morrisons all day tho:p.

People buy into branding , try Andy's Plumbing Services as your name has to be capital letters (unlike my username on here) Get a pro to design it as it will be worth it in the long run and advertise like crazy. ;)

My advice - been at this game almost 30 years - but started as you are

Go work for a plumbing and heating outfit - and pick up your own work for evenings and weekends - if its too big get a mate in. You will be tired doing 2 jobs but it will be worth it in the end.

Websites and such are 2nd hand sales pitches for large companies - do your neighbours and stay local - bad news travels fast, good news slowly but surely, leaflets delivered by you if you have little else to do and miss out the rubbish houses. saves time and leaflets

- get a good deal at a local plumbers merchants and be loyal/go there for everything -

Go for it

Centralheatking

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy,

Having gone self employed myself in July last year i now find myself looking for a job having made the massive mistake of taking voluntary redundancy at a national Company. I have been a plumber for about 8 years and believe me its tough out there.

I had the website which no disrespect was a shade better than yours, i spent £80 a month advertising with yell.com, went round all the local estate agents, letting agents and so on.

Then when you do make money you have got corporation tax to think about, countless letters off the Inland Revenue to try and get your head round as well as chasing money off people for work you have done.

Personally i would say go and get a 9 - 5 and which will give you job security (hopefully) and guaranteed wage.

If you do decide to go on your own, then start by sorting your website out and making yourself known in and around your local area. Beware of constant calls from the likes of Google, Yell, Thompson Local getting you to advertise with them for a monthly fee, sign up to as many free advertisements as possible. Get yourself a good accountant and most importantly be honest with your customers.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to starting out self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in...
Replies
Views
Good evening PlumbersForum I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is my first time posting to this site however i regularly browse it. Im looking for a bit of advice and guidance as I have recently...
Replies
Views
buzzingwithlife
B
Morning guys, I’m looking for some advice on the best route for re-training as a plumber. I have tried finding what i'm looking for in the search...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock