Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Soldered Joints Rough / Grainy Finish at top of Joint (Lead free Solder & Mapp) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Haven't read all the posts but the way I solder...

Clean pipes and fittings.
Add flux to fitting (flux to only pipe if gas)
15mm heat the fitting
Once upto temp tap solder on backside of fitting so isn't visible, always work from top to bottom literally only a few mm of solder needed. You will find a bottom joint will need hardly any solder due to solder running down from top joint(people will disagree...)

22mm same process although I rotate torch back and forth to disperse heat evenly around fitting

Turbo extreme torch with mapp gas

2lnvok5.jpg

I use the fernox stuff. It’s good. Screwfix can be quite cheap on it also.

Big thanks to all.

Just managed to get to screwfix to get some Fernox Lead free (Frys powerflux).

Joints now look as good if not better than leaded ones, so real big thanks for that.

Takes me back 40 years to my childhood when I first learned to solder wires using a poker stuck in the coal fire and a gungy tin of orangy brown Fry's Fluxite. The one with the Red Devil on the tin. Still got that listed on Amazon, but unavail:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solder-Connection-20423-Fluxite-Soldering/dp/B01MRTWID3

Anyone used that in the past on any type of plumbing?

Don't worry I'll be sticking with the new stuff :)

Thanks again to all,

Roy

As above to much heat and a bit to much solder .kop

View attachment 37827

Nice looking work.

Yes thanks I have learned to turn the heat down (which originally I was concerned would end in flux burning because of length of time). I can see now low gas does take practice and confidence but is what you want on real jobs where access may not be ideal. So worth learning, rather than the quick blast. I can see pros under pressure to build new housing estates having to use the quick method.

My problem was duff Oatey lead free solder. Have switched to screwfix Fernox (Frys Powerflux) and now goes on better than my old reel of lead.

I do still have to learn verticals but first project next week just a horizontal elbow.

Many thanks

Haven't read all the posts but the way I solder...

Clean pipes and fittings.
Add flux to fitting (flux to only pipe if gas)
15mm heat the fitting
Once upto temp tap solder on backside of fitting so isn't visible, always work from top to bottom literally only a few mm of solder needed. You will find a bottom joint will need hardly any solder due to solder running down from top joint(people will disagree...)

22mm same process although I rotate torch back and forth to disperse heat evenly around fitting

Turbo extreme torch with mapp gas

2lnvok5.jpg

Many thanks.

My problem was the solder I was using - see other replies.

Agree with verticals - from little I've done on my training piece. I noticed when doing Tees that if you do topmost first then solder can appear at the lower connections, so I'd then concentrate on any bits with no solder.

Reply to Soldered Joints Rough / Grainy Finish at top of Joint (Lead free Solder & Mapp) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Don't laugh... (too much) We have a white mixer tap (20yrs old now) it needs replacing and I bought a very similar one yesterday.. it came with...
Replies
Views
Admins: Apologies: Can you please change post title to "Part 2" This post just for interest/comment so please only read if you have spare time...
Replies
Views
I've done a few sweated joints in my time, but probably not for 20 years (yes, I'm old), & have always used yorkshire fittings. Looking around the...
Replies
Views
I have just spent the most enjoyable 2 hours this afternoon. I have never laughed so much for ages looking at the photos. I have got as far as...
Replies
Views
S
I have been using the presoldered joints for a while, usually with no issues. Recently I have had a series of bad joints on a hot water pipe. Am I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock