Search the forum,

Discuss Solar thermal system labour and parts pricing in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

As I recently had my HW cylinder replaced and we had to leave disconnected the solar thermal system from the HW cylinder and drained out the old glycol. What is involved in re-filling the thermal system with new glycol in terms of number of hours of labour and materials? I got a quote for a bit over £600 which is for 5 hours of work and £200 worth of materials. Is this a reasonable amount? Thanks!

Depends where you are in the country and how much travel is needed to get between you and base, etc. If you aren't happy with the quote, get another company to give you one.

Be careful about using price as your only criterion for choosing – consider reputation and expertise as well. Cheapskates often end up unhappy with the work done or even have to pay twice because a new competent firm is needed to sort out the mess made by the first!

Hi Chuck
My focus is on what actually is involved. I would expect 5 liters of glycol is what it takes and probably 2 hours. This is what I am trying to understand: what does it take to refill a system like this in terms of number of hours and materials.
Thanks

Hi Chuck
My focus is on what actually is involved. I would expect 5 liters of glycol is what it takes and probably 2 hours. This is what I am trying to understand: what does it take to refill a system like this in terms of number of hours and materials.
Thanks
You don't give any details of what type of system you have. "5 litre" seems very small. Do you mean 50 litre, which would fit better with the £200 materials?

Anyway, you'll have to consult the manufacturer's instructions but, speaking generally, filling them can be quite a game if it's done properly. E.g.

Hi Chuck
The system I have was installed 10 years ago and consists of a single panel and a Resol controller and the pump itself. So it is a properly designed and installed system by a reputable company still on operation.

I did literally mean 5 liters as this is the capacity I think it has, but I am happy it may be 10/20 liters, which is between £50 and £100 . The reason I am guessing it is because I have no system manuals/information.

Thanks for the link. Reading through it it makes me thinking it is all down to adequate for the purpose equipment. A pump like this is what it takes Fernox Solar Flow Pump 60056 : Fernox - https://www.mytub.co.uk/fernox-solar-flow-pump-60056-product-539605
I cannot justify for myself the need for 5 hours to do this.
I will ask them for an actual explanation of their reasoning for materials and timing.

Chuck, can I check something after reading the link. I have a pressurised CH system. At how many Psi should I have the nitrogen precharge in the red expansion vessel?

Hi
I did sent a query for a breakdown of the materials and labour required for the job, now that I have a better understanding of what is involved, and will see. Thank you Chuck for taking the time!

Ok, I found the system documentation. It is a 2.5m2 size thermal panel and Tyfocor branded glycol. How can I understand the capacity in liters of that system as I can't seem to find it in the documentation.
Thanks

Reply to Solar thermal system labour and parts pricing in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please. Have been noticing recently some odd behaviour with our hot water system. If we go away for the weekend, leave Friday afternoon and back Sunday night, the hotwater is lukewarm at best up our return Sunday evening. I then need...
Replies
Views
V
Good morning, I thought I would try here first before going elsewhere. in short I had a septic system flexible coupling needing replacing. Backed up waste water. It was less than a meter down and took plumbers less than 1/2 to diagnose I was charged $1560 originally Spoke to plumber to contest...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing system. Plumbing, like most trades, seems to have two main aspects; design and installation. The installation part on my last two projects was painful...
Replies
Views
Hello, So I want to add a solar thermal system to my existing Worcester bosch greenstar but don't want to lose the functional benefits of the combi boiler. I'm proposing to install the solar collector on the side of the house in a position that will enable gravity flow to a 200litre tank just...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock