Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Soil pipe chamfer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bonzo750

Hi I've just joined this forum
what's the quickest way to put a chamfer on a soil stack pipe ?

grinder

Cordless grinder with a segmented diamond blade. Cuts and chamfers very quick. Be careful using the the thin cutting discs, I have had a few shatter when chamfering.

Same as above, a good file will do it in no time what so ever, make sure you use plenty of silicon grease on the fitting and the pipe will glide right in.

with a file or buy something like the Armeg pipe chamfering tool.

Thanks I've looked at the Armeg tool it looks like it's got a bit of sand paper stuck inside it.
I would have thought you could buy a grinder cutting disc that would cut and chamfer all in one pass !
Oh well I best get my file out

I dont bother with the outside chamfer, just use fairly liquid to get the joints in :D

If you know any farriers cadge one of their rasps they use on the horses hoofs, or a grinder!

Small grinder with a grinding disc for metal is what I use.
Now got a cordless grinder.

Angle grinder fastest for cutting and chamfering. But almost as fast, cut with hard point wood saw and chamfer with coarse file. Filing from end towards body of pipe will give best result and provided care is taken on assembly, a large manufactures type chamfer is unnecessary.

HOW MUCH????????

Crazy money! I've never tried a grinder but it takes hardly any time or effort with a file. Why on earth would you spend that much???

Grinder with grinding blade is vicious and effortless. Just hold the cordless grinder in one hand and keep turning the 4" pipe and it is easy.

Angle grinder fastest for cutting and chamfering. But almost as fast, cut with hard point wood saw and chamfer with coarse file. Filing from end towards body of pipe will give best result and provided care is taken on assembly, a large manufactures type chamfer is unnecessary.

I agree, - I use a used, but still sharp hard point wood saw to cut the pipes fast and nice and square and chamfer with an angle grinder.
The pipe edge does not need chamfered for solvent connectors, as it just has to hit the centre division. But on bends, the fitting is tapered inside to suit a chamfer and particularily where the flow is going towards the joint, then chamfering will make a smoother continuous joint to pipe connection. That's if you are fussy

Last edited:
I use cordless grinder with metal cutting blade, cuts quick then just run it round at an angle to create a chamfer.

Or if I only have 1 joint to do a woodsaw and rasp file.

Used to use a wood rasp but now use battery grinder without a doubt quickest way

A hamster. You don't drop any of the waste on the floor either, just don't forget to empty it at the end of the day.

Yep a stanley knife to start you off, then tidy it up with a file.

i dont deal with soil pipe anymore sonot worth buying tools for it!!! just scrape the pipe along the wall whilst turning, job done - and dont forget to rub the marks off!!!!!!LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil pipe chamfer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock