Search the forum,

Discuss Snapped tap top off in on position cant now switch off any ideas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NotSoSuperMario

Hi,
I had a go at replacing a tap washer tonight it should have been the easiest thing in the world but as you have probably guessed from my username it didnt go so well. I could not see any cap at the top where a screw might be hiding so I thought it might be one that you have to unscrew / turn to the on position and then keep screwing to reveal a screw actually on the stem. Anyway in trying this I met resistance, thinking it was just stiff ( its an old tap) I gave it a tweek with a wrench and the tap top has snapped of from the stem, it cant be screwed back on :( Worse still its an old bathroom sink with no isolating valve so the water to the whole house has had to be switched off. Can any of you offer any advice eg a tool that I could use to turn what is left of the stem so the tap is in the off postion as you would be able to if it hadnt snapped off from the tap top ? I have tried an adjustable spanner with no luck. I will have to replace the whole tap now rather than just the washer but in the short term Im just desperate to get this tap back to the off position so I can turn the mains water back on.
Please help if you can.
Thankyou.

id be getting your sen down to screwfix for a isolator valve straight away then carry on repairing . least you will have you water back on and the mrs off your back

How did you know about the mrs being on my back. You cant hear her all the way in Yorkshire can you? Or maybe you can knowing her lol ;)
Thanks for your replies, now that the water is off I better get the tap replaced but I think I will leave that to a professional if I could cause this much carnage just changing a washer it would probably be flippers and snorkles time if I tried anything more advanced.
Cheers for your help.

stick a post in the i need a plumber section , maybe someone on hear is close to you

uses adapt a tap or tap reviver kit maybe

80.jpg

most sheds do them

Thanks to all that have helped. Got a plumber to come and put a new tap in now, he was a top bloke as well. Sorted! :smile5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Snapped tap top off in on position cant now switch off any ideas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock