Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Simple Repair or Replace Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, am hoping someone can advise on whether I should repair, or replace, my Glow Worm Economy Plus 50F conventional boiler?

Currently it is not working - possibly due to insufficient airflow through the heat exchanger: when you switch it on, the piezo igniter just keeps clicking but you don't actually get ignition. The fan is working. When you remove the 2 exterior covers, so that the gas jets are exposed, and then switch it on it ignites immediately.

I have attached a pic of the heat exchanger - which looks pretty clogged to me - so seems a reasonable assumption that no air is being drawn through it - and hence no combustion.

But I'm no expert, so would appreciate some advice from someone who can tell me if this sounds like the real cause of the boiler failing to ignite?

Also whether this heat exchanger is really 'toast'? New ones appear to be £400 and I know I can't fit one - I assume you would need to drain / refill the system so would expect another £400 labour for that?

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20130405_170548.jpg
    20130405_170548.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 65
You need a gsr in to look at your boiler. We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a pm to either Gas man or Redsaw who will then check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Thank you.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Simple Repair or Replace Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock