Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss simple problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flyingswan

Hello there, please forgive a newbie for what might be a very simple question.

I live in a flat with a simple hot water system. The hot water tank supplies 3 hot water taps, and is switched on-and-off by a timer......in sequence the taps supplied are the bathtub hot tap, the bathroom sink hot tap, then finally the kitchen sink hot tap. The kitchen hot tap is part of a mixer tap with the cold water, and the plumbing in the kitchen feeding THAT tap must have been replaced in recent years before I bought the property

I recently went away for 3 days, leaving the hot water timer ON. Now I have returned, hot water still flows perfectly from both bathroom taps, but when I open the kitchen tap, there are just a few dribbles of cool water. The pipe under the sink which feeds the hot tap doesn't feel warm at all......but I cannot trace it back very far because the pipe disappears behind the fixed kitchen cabinets, before it disappears into the bathroom, where it is also hidden behind panelling

I am guessing there is some blockage in the hot pipe between the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink, or that there is something wrong with the kitchen mixer tap ?

Is there a simple solution to this for a non-plumber ? or if I call a professional, what is fixing this going to cost me ?

Have moved your thread to the right section as it was in 'new member introductions'

You will get more answers there.

Sounds like it is an air lock. try putting your thumb over the kitchen spout, opening both handles until you thumbs lets water though

Sounds like the Hot tap in the kitchen is airlocked or the tap cartridge is faulty. If there was water there before just open the connection on the bottom of the tap a little and see if water comes out. If it does it looks like the cartridge may be faulty (this is unlikely though as they tend to fail by not shutting). If you have an air lock you can try opening the mixer tap in the middle and put your hand over the exit. This will force water back up the hot side and break the airlock. HOWEVER on newer mixer cartridges this isn't possible as they incorporate non return valves. You could try opening all the taps at once and then shutting and opening them to try and move the airlock. Or if all the above fails you have to disconnect the pipe from the tap and somehow force water from the cold tap back up it with a hose to break the airlock or move it. BE WARNED once the airlock is broken water will start to gush out of this pipe! Not only is it messy it could scald you! So do it when the hot water is unheated! Get ready with buckets and towels!

Hi flying swan and welcome to the forum. It might be air locked and also some dirt in the tip of the spout . Some have aerators and can easily block making it look like an air lock. If it's one of these taps then simply remove it with a shifter and clean it out. If it's a knuckle style tap then the internal plastic cartridge can easily be replaced if that's the problem . Just make sure you order right one as there are many. If it's air locked do as said above.

Could a check valve have jammed shut as on gravity pressure only (assumption)? Happened to me last week on a customer's mixer. Worked well for 6 weeks then started to jam.

Have you tried sucking on the tap when it's set to deliver hot water only? Does that get it started? If you do this and it is a sticky check valve you shouldn't need to suck hard or for long, just a second and then water starts to flow. It might then be okay if it's used regularly.

And is cold water working properly in the taps?

Waiting to get shot down

Last edited:
Could a check valve have jammed shut as on gravity pressure only (assumption)? Happened to me last week on a customer's mixer. Worked well for 6 weeks then started to jam.

Have you tried sucking on the tap when it's set to deliver hot water only? Does that get it started? If you do this and it is a sticky check valve you shouldn't need to suck hard or for long, just a second and then water starts to flow. It might then be okay if it's used regularly.

And is cold water working properly in the taps?

Waiting to get shot down

Hope he's not still trying to suck the air lock out after 18 months !!! date of thread oct 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to simple problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I need to replace the kitchen tap, all my neighbours have two single taps in their kitchen and bathroom whereas I have a single...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Is this set up correct: Attic stop valve turns off the cold water to my bathroom (I think it is the rising main in the attic which...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock