Search the forum,

Discuss servicing related woes..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ribtickler

hi all,
just wondered what your thoughts/experience with problems after servicing are?

serviced a boiler yesterday (13 year old 35 cdi 2) and after having gas board out to adjust governer got the boiler giving correct readings, now the gas valve is playing up.
so i will have to replace it but surely this should be chargeable?
customer is using the old line " it was working ok before you touched it " but speaking to my repair guy ( 30 years experience) he said servicing should have no impact on boiler function but that some of the older boilers don't like the service mode and it can then show up faults.
anyone had similar experiences?
do you swallow the bill or pass it on to customer. I've been registered over 12 months now and have serviced loads of boilers with no trouble at all but it does make you doubt yourself.

whats wrong with the gas valve?

not sure, doesnt appear to be passing gas through and it is clunking.
dont think it is the board as it is sequencing as it should. fan, ignition etc.

not sure, doesnt appear to be passing gas through and it is clunking.
dont think it is the board as it is sequencing as it should. fan, ignition etc.

if its >fan, ignition , 1 clunk< then about 3 cycles later lock out or does it keep clunking?

and you getting any pressure - or + on the out side?

from what i recall there was a couple of clunks, getting pressure from inlet but nothing through burner nipple

from what i recall there was a couple of clunks, getting pressure from inlet but nothing through burner nipple

have you tried cleaning it and whats your incoming pressure?

i haven't done anything with it yet as i wanted a replacement part to change it with if necessary (dont want to keep going back). standing pressure at the inlet is 25mb. i wasnt sure if it could be taken apart so i thats why i am waiting for a replacement which i can return if its not used.

I've always wanted to get into repairs but it does seem like it can be a bit of a headache!:confused5:

i haven't done anything with it yet as i wanted a replacement part to change it with if necessary (dont want to keep going back). standing pressure at the inlet is 25mb. i wasnt sure if it could be taken apart so i thats why i am waiting for a replacement which i can return if its not used.

I've always wanted to get into repairs but it does seem like it can be a bit of a headache!:confused5:

no it cant be a blast of compressed air with valve open normally works

if the valve is taken out would it be considered open or is there something i would need to do?

leave connected if you dont have a variable power source if not leave connected wait for spark clunk then two sprays of canned air will tell you if the solenoid is working and then put back together should work

Do you have any voltage going to the gas valve? If you do put your manometer on the inlet shut the gas and fire it up. if it drops the gas valve is opening if it doesn't its not.

What you might of done is adjust the maximum and knocked the minimum down too low so it wont fire up.

thanks for the input guys, new valve will be here tomorrow so will try above mentioned then.
shaun, i take it you mean remove gas valve but leave wires connected so it operates then blast air through bottom of valve and see if it opens up.

What you might of done is adjust the maximum and knocked the minimum down too low so it wont fire up.

to be fair that might be right as i did have to adjust the valve a little to get correct burner readings, again i will check out tomorrow. thanks

It's so helpful to be able to come on here and get friendly advice, we all have to start somewhere when starting to take on repairs and its nice to have folks that are helpful and willing.

most likly to be the low setting they all seem to drop down over time its the first thing to look at when you get intermittent firing

Been there the old glowworm ultimate you had to pivot pcb on hinge serviced loads on a site 2 needed pcbs after due to dry joints.

youre doing this to make money this how you pay your rent.
if you put in a new gas valve for free will you ever make that money back from this customer. next time boiler needs work is she going to call you, if the answers 'no' she has to pay for the new gas valve otherwise youre paying her to fix her boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to servicing related woes..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
H
I need some help and advice with a boiler issue. We have F29 and then F29 appearing on our new boiler. This happened after few days where water was dripping from the condensation pipe. Our regular gas engineer(who installed the boiler) was not available and will be in a couple of days. The...
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the working gas pressure on the gas valve test nipple. This fell to 8mbar on maximum and 17mbar on high setting. They then removed the isolation valve under...
Replies
Views
About 9 months now, started suffering intermittent but frequent hydraulic shock thwacks, sometimes very violent, below Harvey's water softener in mains cold copper pipe. So far, water tank ballcock replaced, kitchen mixer tap replaced, Harvey's serviced the water softener, approx. 5 years old...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock