Discuss seized backnut on basin cold tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MORGIE

Hi Everyone,

Im needing some needing some help with a seized brass backnut on a basin tap which wont budge iv tried everything with correct tools bain wrench ect. Iv sprayed with WD let it soak but still no luck, the hot tap came off in the end but this one is doing my head in. Had my cutting disc and rotary tool ready but am wary.

Any advice would be great

Morgan

I used my Fein multi last Monday to cut one off a kitchen sink, took a while but it came off.

Won't a box spanner move it at all?

heat or cut it off and welcome to the worlds of plumbing

From the underside drill 3mm holes close together across the flange and into the nut thread.
Lightly tap a screwdriver into the holes to join them together and the nut will open out and split.

My worst was a square tap tail in a square hole on an old basin, didn't know it was square until I'd cracked the basin. To make it worse id frozen the pipe and the lost the bung :willy_nilly:
No chance of discretely moping it up as they had water sensors in the floor cavity that set off a full alarm through the building!

So don't worry, after all what's the worst that could happen?

I might try snowhead's method next time but have always cut off from above in the past.

Last edited:
Heating the nut with a blow lamp usually does the trick, but just be careful to use a tiny flame and not put too much heat on the basin.
Or it is a nice new steel drill bit, goggles for you eyes and drill a vertical line until little remains of the line in nut and split it with a flat screwdriver, as said above

My worst was a square tap tail in a square hole on an old basin, didn't know it was square until I'd cracked the basin. To make it worse id frozen the pipe and the lost the bung :willy_nilly:
No chance of discretely moping it up as they had water sensors in the floor cavity that set off a full alarm through the building!

So don't worry, after all what's the worst that could happen?

I might try snowhead's method next time but have always cut off from above in the past.

Year ago changed my mums basin, same thing, square hole, nut wouldn't budge, brother in law tried, basin snapped in half resulting in cutting my hand & a trip to A&E

It was a nice deep sink. Pity that.

Mine was a nice old one, must have been there 40-50 years. Didn't last long after I arrived.
wonder if I could have put a round tap in that square hole - guess i'll never know:wink:

Mine was a nice old one, must have been there 40-50 years. Didn't last long after I arrived.
wonder if I could have put a round tap in that square hole - guess i'll never know:wink:

Yes you would of

As above either heat the tap up with a blow lamp, cut into the back nut or cut the top of the tap off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to seized backnut on basin cold tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock