Discuss Secondary return cools cylinder within 2 hours in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I would hazard a guess that there is something else going on when the secondary return pump is on.
I doubt you would lose the heat from the cylinder and pipe work in that amount of time, if you haven't used any hot water.

Is there a pressure relief valve on the secondary circuit that may be passing when the pump is running?
This would cause an influx of cold water to the system - when the pump is running.

Sounds odd, but even un-insulated pipework, should not lose that much heat over that time.

I had the same problem, the pipework under the ground floor was uninsulated and would cool the cylinder in about 2 hours, I have now got 19mm lagging on all the pipe work but it will still go cold if the pump is left running all day.

I had the same problem, the pipework under the ground floor was uninsulated and would cool the cylinder in about 2 hours, I have now got 19mm lagging on all the pipe work but it will still go cold if the pump is left running all day.
Thank Peter, that's interesting to know. Hopefully insulating the pipework in the loft will help! Thanks

Well, I'm thinking if your HOT OUT goes in a roughly upwards direction from the cylinder, you may be getting one-pipe circulation within that pipe even when pumps are off and no one is drawing water. From the photos, I'm having a hard time visualising which way is up and what connects to what, but if you follow the pipes with your hands, you'll soon get the idea which pipes are getting hot (losing lots of heat!), and which pipes are merely getting warm.

Last time I looked, Toolstation had some pretty good prices on what they call 'byelaw' insulation. It's only 1m lengths, but if you evostik all along the split and joints, it should work well.

Reply to Secondary return cools cylinder within 2 hours in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
Sorry I have sort of asked this before, tried professionals but not great 1st experience hence DIY attempt attempt again. 2 completely cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock