Currently reading:
rules for boilers in lofts

Discuss rules for boilers in lofts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael c

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys qouted for a boiler install today with desired location being in loft right infront of the hatch. I have paid for the regs but they arent working at minute can anyone tell me what the rules are around this? The loft is boarded its just the proximity to the hatch im concerned over but the only other option is a bedroom.

Thanks in advance

Why do you need a condensate pump if your working in the loft, water flows downhill from experience!
due to the set up in the loft and the design of the house i wouldnt be able to get the fall from the boiler to the exit of the building (no access to internal wastes)

If the boiler is very close to the loft hatch look at providing a drop down cover for the hatch. I fitted a boiler in a loft where the only place it could go because of asbestos was directly adjacent to the hatch. I fabricated a flap that dropped down and covered the hatch so you could safely work on the boiler.

use your common sense.

can the customer safely gain access to operate the boilers controls? (taking into account customers ability's)
can a service engineer safely gain access and work on the appliance?
does it meet manufacturer's/your standard risk assessments for working in lofts/ confined spaces? (will the manufacturer's engineer fix the boiler or walt away?)

normally access for service is engineers choice if they are SE, if direct to a large company they will have certain ristrictions in there HandS policy.

Thats a good idea mike. Would solve a lot of issues for me doing it like that.
As for the ladder i will have to discuss with the customer. I know some of the big companies now dont like engineers to use a customers ladders if it can be helped, even purpose made loft ladders.

trouble is most loft ladders dont meet min trade standards, BG and others will not allow there engineers to use substandard access equipment as its against there HandS policy.

its a sackable offence to break your companies HandS policy, so even tho it would seem stupid to not use the customers ladder if there, the engineer will be protecting himself from possible problems, so you will get some engineers who stick to the rules and some who would not care less and just go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to rules for boilers in lofts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back