Discuss Riello RDB Oil Pump Problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Luke

Hello all this is my first post and am a big fan of the forum

I Fitted a New riello rdb pump aprox four weeks ago to replace one that was leaking oil, was phoned and told that now 4 weeks on the burner is making a screetching noise. checked out the motor and pump, and it would seem the new 4 week old pump is turning a bit stiff has any 1 els had this problem??
Pump was set up with oil guage and boiler serviced at time with fga new nozzle hose etc
any advice appreciated

yep sorry to say was only in for a matter of weeks took back merchants was not totally suprised either we had few duff ones when we installed bosch combi extrnals brand new out the box those were both rdb bosch guys took look and changed whole thing

Not had any problems recently, but not to say there aren't any round the corner. What was the pump filter (behind end cover) like? and pump vacuum pressure?

pump filter was spotless. vacuum gauge is out of action (knackerd) You thinking of possible resistance in the oil line ? has anyone seen a new riello oil pump get stiff in a matter of weeks lately? my supplier is in inverness

Did you test the motor and pump unattached?

It can often be difficult to discover which is noisy when coupled together.

Could be the drive dog slipping also but unlikely, or even the fan scraping
the case (this can easily be checked with motor decoupled).

As above, could be the motor bearings especially if the pump was leaking - the kero sucks straight into them and dries them out. You can often 'cure' it with a dro pof 3in1 onto the bearing. As mentioned above, pop the pump off and run the burner for a mo to identify where its coming from. Dont be too sucked into the feel of the pump, when you rotate them with your hands they often feel a bit knackered but its just the pump movement.

yea i had the pump off and ran the motor/fan no problems , problem is intermittent tho but pump is definetly a bit rough/sticky cant understand why tho because it is only 4 weeks old

cant understand why tho because it is only 4 weeks old
I bought a telly once from John Lewis. Had a fault occur within a few weeks, they changed it. Just one of those things.
Stick a new pump on but dont bother setting up til youve run it and heard it.

i wonder would Grant Spares cover the cost of new pump and fitting ? dont see how it should be my customers problem or myn

You bought it from Grant? Did it take an hour to get through? Did they charge you double what anyone else would?
Yes, will be warranted but you'll have to try another first, no not the fitting. How long you been a service engineer?

You'll have to send it back to them, if they deem it a manufacturing defect they will give you a replacement part, if not you won't. As for labor not a chance, this is why you put a margin on spares, nog for profit but to mitigate against such issues.

try explaining that to the average joe, customer and plumber at times! they just dont get it and your just another watchdog cowboy in their eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you would really need to identify what part is causing the noise before you assume it is the oil pump. If it was the pump it could be caused by a lack of oil or air in the pump.Check that you have a free flow of oil and that the filters externally are not blocked. As said it could also be a motor bearing when it gets hot.

pump £68 pounds inc vat not from grant but they supply my supplier, i have been told to give the pump back to them and they will give it to riello to test and if its not 100% ill get money back, in the mean time i will be fitting a new pump

Grant will also want your OFTEC reg number, they do here and now they won't even continue the phone call without it.

File it under "proverbial happens" if they give a refund great if not ask some very in-depth as to why so at least you learn something from the experience.

Also if / when you get a refund ask for another pump to cover your expences, they won't give money but have been known to give goods.

talk nicely to the local rep twice a day if you have to, that tends to work best, he'll be so fed up he'll sort it out, always be very pleasant and reasonable, worked when my bocsh drill batteries failed at 18 months, 2 nice big new ones. I even got hold of his home number, due to his own cock up and rang him in the evening twice:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Riello RDB Oil Pump Problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back