Search the forum,

Discuss Reporting illegal gas work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.gas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys,

got this email from some plum admitting to his father in law doing illegal gas work, would you just ignore it or reply as if you will do the work so he gives his address so u can report him

Hello

I've recently bought a gas fire and my girlfriends father has installed it for us. However although it has been fitted ok we want to have someone qualified to come out and check it over and provide a safety certificate before we use it.

Can you confirm how much this will cost, I obtained your details from check a trade.

I am based Lower Walton, Warrington.

Can you confirm your Gas Safe ID number?

Thanks

David

Think I would go there and point out all the faults, then tell him that you are going to have to report it as an illegal installation. There going to know it's you who reported it any way and hopefully they would appreciate your professionalism & honesty rather than going behind their back.

gas safe wont do anything as no money has changed hands (payment for works etc)

i would not give them my gas safe info in the email :D as they could just fill a form out and done ;)

and if there willing to pay get a call out charge first tho and then tot up all the faults and least you got paid for a giggle then :)

I'd ignore it personally.
You can't prove he did it and gas safe and HSE are waist of time with things like this because nothing has actually happened. On top of that, he may well have done everything right and for no financial reward like Shaun said

Just to put a reverse spin on this though are we not allowing Gas Safe and HSE to say that illegal installation is not a widespread problem by not reporting things ?? By their own admittance they record all calls for training purposes so at least there has to be note taken of the illegal install. If we all ignore it then the problem will never go away

Cheers guys. I did email him back and I now have his address and was going to report him as I think it's the right thing to do, but seems as tho nothing will happen then I don't think it's worth it as they know were I live and I don't want any retaliation as they'll know it's me.

Just to put a reverse spin on this though are we not allowing Gas Safe and HSE to say that illegal installation is not a widespread problem by not reporting things ?? By their own admittance they record all calls for training purposes so at least there has to be note taken of the illegal install. If we all ignore it then the problem will never go away

Good point !

I agree

Last edited:
I've experienced numerous, serious situations over the years and addressed them all correctly.
Warning notice, RIDDOR report form, informed the gas suppliers etc.
All to no avail.
It is all recorded of course but unless someone is injured, very little happens.
It is important we follow correct procedure to cover ourselves and hope it eventually makes a difference.

For anything to happen they would have to report the father in law. You report it they cannot do a thing unless the street blows up.
Such is life.

think you already fell for it!
probably a rented gaff and now the cert for the council has your details and gas safe # on it! ;)
had a few try this one.lol

if you manage to fulfill appointment may as well go critical with it and prevent danger and give warning to folk.
dont forget to charge a healthy sum too.

think you already fell for it!
probably a rented gaff and now the cert for the council has your details and gas safe # on it! ;)
had a few try this one.lol

if you manage to fulfill appointment may as well go critical with it and prevent danger and give warning to folk.
dont forget to charge a healthy sum too.

Fell for what? I haven't given him any details and never intended to give him any details.

I just replied to say I would do it so I could get his address to potentially report them but seems as tho it's going to more hassle than what's it's worth.

I would happily pay more for my gas safe registration every year if they made an effort to clamp down and prosecute people doing illegal work. The industry needs to be more regulated, especially buying of gas spares etc. It wont happen as big businesses will lose money. Also there are gas engineers out there who are happy to sign off other peoples work for a quick bit of money, another issue in itself.

I wanna tell you a story ( val doonican said).

I'll be brief so as not to bore !

Acquaintance of mine told me a story ( I stress that I never actually visited this job ) but I did speak on the phone to the lady concerned.
The story goes like this:-

Builder builds conservatory at rear of property.

Flue from boiler is now in conservatory but windows left out to give time to get boiler flue moved.

Plumber doesn't make it.

Glass put in conservatory, customer told to keep door shut, don't let baby in conservatory.

Conservatory full of P.O.C. And much condensation.

After hearing this, I sent RIDDOR form in and rang Corgi ( at the time) and also rang HSE.

Response from Corgi.........you've done the right thing.
Response from HSE..........we have spoken to the lady on the telephone and she understands the dangers involved in using the appliance. She is an adult.

Well, says I, what happens to the builder for leaving her in a dangerous situation ?

Response.........well, nothing has actually happened so there isn't really a lot we can do, only make sure people understand the risks. If something were to happen, we have on record that she knew the dangers and we have the details of the builder so we would be able to prosecute if it was deemed to be his fault.

So there you go, an experience of mine shared.

Conclusion:-
What this is all about is ensuring that you do what is correct, you are qualified, classed as competent, insured and responsible. You cover yourself and record things well, get signatures where necessary. When something happens is when it all counts and not before !

It makes you wonder why we all bother paying to be registered with such little risk of being prosecuted, the law only stated competent person. I can prove that with my qualifications, so why bother with Gas Safe?

I had a customer recently ask me to service their boiler. I go along to a potterton performa and fine the seal on the combustion chamber has gone rock hard and crumbled along the bottom, common problem on these, and also the flue is not joined properly in the roof void because it doesn't line up correctly to where the flue exists the roof. Getting 300ppm on the air intake side of the flue, analyser went into meltdown when testing the inner flue and also detecting lots of CO in the room. I cap the appliance and tell them of the faults. They have refused to pay me for the boiler service because they didn't like the outcome and the rectification work that was required. The vertical flue exited out a flat roof directly below the bathroom window as well. I get told I must be wrong as someone fixed the boiler 3 months ago and said it was fine. Apparently my £60 boiler service fee is more than they value the safety of their family.

Here's another e.g.
Boiler installed by plumber ( customers brother in law). Not registered.

Broke down, I was called out.
Gas leak on GV
flue exhaust had no seal
Test nipple left open on GV
No PR installed
They were the main issues.

I sent RIDDOR report form in.
HSE rang the installer, he told them that he had not finished and was going to get a 'mate' to check it over for him.
End of chat !

Nothing they could do because nothing had actually happened !

I've had quite a few incidents similar all with similar results.

As I said before, it's all about covering your own behind !

Had that house disappeared in an explosion he would have been in serious trouble.

I don't understand why the HSE wait until the horse has bolted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Reporting illegal gas work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock