Discuss Repairs on rented property, whats the rules??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys and gals,

Went to a job today to fix a leaky loo, i got there this morning and started to have a look, as i was doing so the lass started telling me about all these problems shes having with the house, then she mentioned the LANDLORD is useless, i thought uh oh. i stopped what i was doing and advised that she gets permission from her landlord before any work is done as its not her property.

was i right to do this as im pretty sure rented property is the responsibility of the landlord not the tenant to arrange to fix things,

if i was right to leave the job untouched then thats good but if i had started pulling the tiles off and slicing the silicon away to gain access could i have got into some real trouble legally speaking?

Cheers all

J

i always work on whose paying if the tennent is happy to pay for the work and sort it with the landlord thats their option
the one to watch out for is the tennent who asks for the work waits till complete and then says you have to bill the landlord always check that the person giving the order is going to pay you
legally i would imagine if you are at the premesise and asked to do the work by the occupier you ok as you wouldnt be expected know if it was there place or rented they would be the obvious responsible person

it does depend on the lease conditions,a normal lease will stipulate that if a repair is required the landlord needs to be made aware of it, even if its small and the tennant wants to pay for it sometimes a lease can have an all repair clause that is really a way to cut the cost of the lease to the tennant who then pays for day to day repairs

i dont now about legal side but-
i went to a rented property before xmas and the woman said the landlord has authorised clearing a blocked second floor toilet, it had been blocked for over a week when she fisrt moved in.
after a couple of hours in-all sucking and blowing the pan and drains, the block cleared just as it fell dark. i flushed the toilet a few times and then it blocked again...doh.
i told her that the only thing i can do next is cut the stack pipe to clear the block which lay at the branch pipe below ground as there was no rodding eye. it was pitch black and not wanting to go home with sht all over me and bearing the fact the toilet had not been used for over a week, i told her i will return the next day around noon with a slip-collar.
then she asked what do i owe you?. i told her nothing untill i have sorted it, when i finish the job tommorrow.
the next day i turned up as planned, no one in and saw a note on the door.
my land lord has fixed the toilet by cutting the pipe, cleared the block and re-joined it with a slip-collar last night, although he got covered in sht. but thanks for your help.
where the fk does the land lord live?. who is liable for the bill (no fix no fee) but a lesson well learnt.

cheers for the advice fellas, think ill just play it safe from now on and just tell any tenants that i need landlords permission before any work can be done, better safe than sorry i guess.

Just wanted to add that I too have been caught out by turning up at a property being unaware that its rented, did the work (thankfully only a small job) and was then informed that I needed to invoice the landlord,,,,,,,,,my thoughts if i printed them on here would be edited out. Much more careful now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Repairs on rented property, whats the rules??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock