Discuss removing a stubborn Immersion Heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Imrshun

Sorry for digging up this thread, but I'm experiencing a great deal of difficulty trying to remove an immersion heater. I've been told it looks like it has red lead sealing on an old steel cylinder.

Is it still possible to remove the element?

stevetheplumber - are you still available in east London? Is this a job you think you can sort?

Thanks

Hello,

I have posted today already about the same issue what I would do next time loosing it up during the draining as the pressure in the cylinder is everywhere the same therefore easier to loosen it up. But you will need to becareful as its under pressure with roasting hot water. Just use an box spanner and tap it slightly to make it loose.

I've been doing it now for years and had never an issue, but obviously you could get always an issue if this doesn't work out you could make it hot with a blow torch but always becareful that you do not break the thread or thin wall of the cylinder.

Also too make sure when doing this that the water level is lower than the immersion.

Thanks Matchless - that's strange, I originally posted in another thread, but MODS must've created a new one?

I'm looking at giving this another shot over the weekend. As the element is at the bottom, and the tank is steel (not copper), I assume it is better to drain the water from the tank before attempting to unscrew?

What about stability and pressure within (will it distort tank)?

Steve - you will probably hear from me over the weekend (if that's OK?), but hopefully not :)

if the tank is steel its either 50 plus years old or its an unvented cylinder either way not a job for an amateur the latter is actually illegal for you to work on

Not necessarily. I've fitted a stainless steel vented cylinder before.:45:
probli not what this blokes dealing with though. I'm guessing something a bit older if he's removing an old immersion.

Either way copper or steal I'd always go for loosen up during draining progress.
Just give it a go and you will see if it works or not.

99% should work with tapping at the box spanner. If not do as mentioned before with stilsons and make it hot with a blow torch ...

Sometimes you will need to hit or spin it in a different direction which means to tighten it up to get a movement in.

Good luck mate

Regards Ronny

Thanks for the advice Matchless.

Steve has kindly sorted this out for me - thanks Steve - job well done after a bit of a struggle!

It's a steel tank and the new heater is titanium (which I bought).

Having read the instructions after Steve left, what concerns me is that it states:

'..... that ONLY Incoloy or Titanium elements WITH AN INCOLOY THERMOSTAT POCKET are fitted' to steel tanks.

However, it does state that the titanium element where I bought from is for use with copper and steel tanks.

Any concerns here before I wire it up?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to removing a stubborn Immersion Heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock