Search the forum,

Discuss Removal of Basin Waste - Secured with Silicone in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than plumber’s mate. The floor was originally tiled, but I replaced it with high quality vinyl, when fractures began to appear in the grout. As part of this project, the toilet and basin/pedestal, were removed to allow the fitting of 12 mm marine ply, screwing this material securely to the floorboards. At this state, it was not necessary to replace the waste, as this was in perfect condition.

Five years on, the waste and tape are starting to show signs of wear and need to be replaced. The tap is straightforward enough, although the waste is a different story, given the use of silicone in its original installation.

Ideally, I would like to perform the removal and installation of the new waste with the basin/pedestal in situ, as the silicone lines for both these items are superb and I fear that I will not be able to restore these if the original lines are broken.

Photos of the various elements are attached.

Any advice or suggestions would be Gately appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230913_072554692_iOS.jpg
    20230913_072554692_iOS.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230913_072634858_iOS.jpg
    20230913_072634858_iOS.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230913_133159957_iOS.jpg
    20230913_133159957_iOS.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230913_133204402_iOS.jpg
    20230913_133204402_iOS.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 13
Silicone for the basin waste is standard practice.

undo the nut underneath the basin and then using a pair of long nose pliers insert them into the top of the waste and twist until you break the silicone and then pull it out. Get a stanley knife blade and cut as much silicone as you can away. It needs to be pretty clear of lumps and bumps to give you a good shot at re-sealing it with the new one. When installing the new one remove the washer that goes above the hole and just use silicone, then underneath you need a bead of silicone between the basin and the waste all the way round before putting on the washer and back nut. It will be hard to do this with it in situ, you may be able to take the trap off for help as those pedastall traps have a large stab depth on the bottom of it which means it can slide up and down, but it does depend if the plumber cut the pipe back originally.

Fit a basin waste - Quick How To tips from Victoria Plum - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VeIXPVypjVM Just put more silicone than he did in this video on the underside and make sure you get it inside the gap between waste and ceramic

Silicone for the basin waste is standard practice.

undo the nut underneath the basin and then using a pair of long nose pliers insert them into the top of the waste and twist until you break the silicone and then pull it out. Get a stanley knife blade and cut as much silicone as you can away. It needs to be pretty clear of lumps and bumps to give you a good shot at re-sealing it with the new one. When installing the new one remove the washer that goes above the hole and just use silicone, then underneath you need a bead of silicone between the basin and the waste all the way round before putting on the washer and back nut. It will be hard to do this with it in situ, you may be able to take the trap off for help as those pedastall traps have a large stab depth on the bottom of it which means it can slide up and down, but it does depend if the plumber cut the pipe back originally.

Fit a basin waste - Quick How To tips from Victoria Plum - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VeIXPVypjVM Just put more silicone than he did in this video on the underside and make sure you get it inside the gap between waste and ceramic
I still use putty. Damn silicone.

Reply to Removal of Basin Waste - Secured with Silicone in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock