Discuss Rayburn over heating need to add another rad, is this the way to go? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hububalli

Hello,
I have found loads of great info on this site that has get us pretty far! I just want to confirm what we want to do is the best option.

So we have a tempory heating system running off a rayburn, this will be replaced by a large solid fuel burner in the shed next year proffesionally. The rayburn and rads that we have work fine but the system is overheating so we want to add another rad in the cold bathroom.

I have done a little drawing of the basics of what we have. The new rad is going to be 7m away from the feed and return pipes above the rayburn. We thought it would be best to have the new 22mm rad pipes come in from below running at a slight angle upwards towards the rad as in the picture (blue lines)

Is this our best option? We cant really go under the floorboards in the room with the cylinder in and as it is temporary astetics are not that important. The other option was to have the feed for the radiator going along the wall above the cylinder and door and the down the wall and through into the bathroom and keeping the return from the rad where it is in the picture going down into the room below and along.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
rad plan.jpg

I think you'd better fitting a single drop feed loop system to the extra radiator.

It's not the rayburn overheating, it's the poor system it's attached to.

Please don't take the drawing as an exact schematic of the system. It's the basics of whats going on. It is a massive old house that we need hot water for and a few radiators for this winter. Most of the heating is wood burners. I agree that there is nothing wrong with the rayburn, maybe I should have been more specific with the title. There is not enough in the system to deal with the heat generated and the tank in the loft is insuffient.

I think you'd better fitting a single drop feed loop system to the extra radiator.

I see, could you explain that a bit as it is not a term that I am familiar with. It would be really appriciated

Thanks,

if yor running a solid fuell rayburn on a gravity feed system youll probably find that your hw cyl is not big enough as reccommended by rayburn to absorb the bulk of the heat coming off the rayburn. you should only need a couple of rads to act as a heat sink on your system. adding more will just mean come the winter you have no hw as the rads are nicking all the heat if they actually circulate at all! go to the rayburn site and look up your model of rayburn and see what you should be doing with it to operate it efficiently and safetely, you need installer/technical data

forgot to mention the better option is to not through n so much fuel and run the rayburn at a lower temp it about running it sensibly and not at max chat all the time.

is the cylinder grade 1 with a coil suitable for gravity? most modern cylinders coils are not great for gravity circulation.

also may be better to stick a few rads (longer runs) on a pump hooked up to pipe stats to get rid of the heat and make the rads work better.

Last edited:
Please don't take the drawing as an exact schematic of the system. It's the basics of whats going on. It is a massive old house that we need hot water for and a few radiators for this winter. Most of the heating is wood burners. I agree that there is nothing wrong with the rayburn, maybe I should have been more specific with the title. There is not enough in the system to deal with the heat generated and the tank in the loft is insuffient.

I see, could you explain that a bit as it is not a term that I am familiar with. It would be really appriciated

Thanks,
With respect mate, correctly installing gravity systems is not something for a DIYer or course cowboy. The appliance output would be required, pipe sizing & gradients would need to be calculated. Deffo not something for the 'Plastic Plumbers'.

With respect mate, correctly installing gravity systems is not something for a DIYer or course cowboy. The appliance output would be required, pipe sizing & gradients would need to be calculated. Deffo not something for the 'Plastic Plumbers'.

Agree it's not a DIY job unless you know exactly what your doing
Lol and your not a plastic plumber then
Most new builds where your from are not done in plastic then?

Agree it's not a DIY job unless you know exactly what your doing
Lol and your not a plastic plumber then
Most new builds where your from are not done in plastic then?

Can I please inquire, are you addressing me Gray dear boy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rayburn over heating need to add another rad, is this the way to go? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back