Search the forum,

Discuss Rats repeatedly chewing through flexible pan connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Faye

I have had repeated problems with holes in the middle of the flexible outflow pipe from my toilet. The pan connector has needed to be replaced 3 times in 2 months. One time when this was the case, there were very clear bite marks and a large hole that appeared within just 2 weeks - the only real explanation (particularly as I heard scrabbling noises) was that it this issue is due to rats climbing up into the pipe and chewing through it from the inside. Photograph attached.

Can anybody advise what measures I could take to resolve this? It is not sustainable to just repeatedly replace the connector so any advice would be gratefully received. This is in a block of flats so I cannot do much about pest control for the whole area.

Thanks,
Faye

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 221
Get onto the local authority they will put traps down for a start

Use a solid connector if you can, (i.e. non flexible). which will make it harder for them to bite into.

Hopefully your LA will take an interest.

Have your plumber install this part ,also get someone to look at rat problem but a least installing one of these sorts your problem out
ugaje9e6.jpg

Attachments

• 413.jpg
    413.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
get rid of the rats is the first step ive been told they bite through because they can see the light so may be paint it black but as said solid would be better

Thanks everyone! I've been in touch with the housing association that owns the block but they haven't been very proactive so far... I wanted to see what else I can do whilst I continue to pester them and the Local Authority.

Thanks leethegasman... but your picture isn't showing up for some reason. Could you repost/post a link to where I can see the information about the part?

id be more worried where the rats are now !! obviously in your house somewhere !

Faye. You're looking at one of these but the pan will have to come out.

uploadfromtaptalk1357397600275.jpg

Keep on at your HA.

Environmental health might be interested and put pressure on your HA.

Agree with croppie, it will be harder for those super rodents to chew through that!

Fitting one of these flaps fitted might also help - depending on the layout of the pipework that is...

http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/media/downloadable/guidelines/wc/L-ARB-1.pdf

Have you put a complaint in writing to the Housing Association?

If not, send them a Recorded Delivery letter, and involve Environmental Health by writing to them also.

If that doesn't bring about some action, write to your MP and say that you are struggling to get anywhere with HA and EH.

had problem getting picture on have added to my first post,it will sort your problem out i have used before.

Nothing to stop the rats going down into the water in the U bend of the pan & come up through the pot & into the house, even if you had a solid plastic pan connector! Sorry to share that thought, but I wouldn't like to sit on the pot & I would probably keep looking for a rats face appearing up! Looks like the flap might be best.

some councils will deal with rodent problems but because of cuts some are not doing it anymore.find out is your council doing it if not pay and get someone in.

I have the same issue, the council came but said it is a drains issue. So the water board for the area were called and even put cameras down the drains and into the pipes but no evidence was found. So on the same day got a new pan connector fitted but overnight the rat gnawed on it again. Don't know what else to do it is driving me crazy. Help..

Last edited by a moderator:
If u have a manhole u can put a rat blocker/ stopper onto your pipes should solve the problem. They can be expensive but worth it.

Can the pest control do anything to help? I want the issue resolved ASAP. So fed up of keep getting a new pan connector fitted and then back to square one. The rat has also been in the house because there is rat doppings near the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rats repeatedly chewing through flexible pan connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock