Discuss Rats repeatedly chewing through flexible pan connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Faye

I have had repeated problems with holes in the middle of the flexible outflow pipe from my toilet. The pan connector has needed to be replaced 3 times in 2 months. One time when this was the case, there were very clear bite marks and a large hole that appeared within just 2 weeks - the only real explanation (particularly as I heard scrabbling noises) was that it this issue is due to rats climbing up into the pipe and chewing through it from the inside. Photograph attached.

Can anybody advise what measures I could take to resolve this? It is not sustainable to just repeatedly replace the connector so any advice would be gratefully received. This is in a block of flats so I cannot do much about pest control for the whole area.

Thanks,
Faye

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 221
Get onto the local authority they will put traps down for a start

Use a solid connector if you can, (i.e. non flexible). which will make it harder for them to bite into.

Hopefully your LA will take an interest.

Have your plumber install this part ,also get someone to look at rat problem but a least installing one of these sorts your problem out
ugaje9e6.jpg

Attachments

• 413.jpg
    413.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
get rid of the rats is the first step ive been told they bite through because they can see the light so may be paint it black but as said solid would be better

Thanks everyone! I've been in touch with the housing association that owns the block but they haven't been very proactive so far... I wanted to see what else I can do whilst I continue to pester them and the Local Authority.

Thanks leethegasman... but your picture isn't showing up for some reason. Could you repost/post a link to where I can see the information about the part?

id be more worried where the rats are now !! obviously in your house somewhere !

Faye. You're looking at one of these but the pan will have to come out.

uploadfromtaptalk1357397600275.jpg

Keep on at your HA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rats repeatedly chewing through flexible pan connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back