Search the forum,

Discuss quotes and estimates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

what do you lads do when you've been asked to do a heating system, boiler swap or other work, do you give a quote or estimate?

when i give an estimate the customers always refer it to it as a quote!!!!:smartass:

Estimate never a quote a quote people take as fixed price ,

I always clearly state estimated job cost

covers for any variables

I usually give an estimate over the phone, an around about price at the bottom end of what I would charge assuming it's a straight forward job, then arrange a visit and give a proper quote stating things that may bump the price up (waste removal, variations etc)

I think it depends on the job. Most boiler changes you will make enough from your price to cover the unforeseen. Customers tend to like a quote because there's no hidden extras. On larger scale installs I can understand the need for an estimated cost.

Always quote with an accurate description of work ie number of rads and what type then if they change anything you've got it in writing.

Estimate, only ever had to do one fixed price quote. Added a load extra on before giving cust price.

so what about bathroom jobs?
start digging and you find lead mains-3&1/2'' waste- conduit in the way etc which makes it a ball ache!

Estimate, only ever had to do one fixed price quote. Added a load extra on before giving cust price.

Can't bring myself to do it, this is one of my sticking points, have a price in my head, then it always drops when I come to tell the customer what they owe

The office always quotes over the phone then I get verbal from the customer when I charge for extra half hour labour or pipe alterations. Some even refuse to pay the extra.

start digging and you find lead mains-3&1/2'' waste- conduit in the way etc which makes it a ball ache!

Thats when I stop, get the cust to have a look, let them know how much extra, agree it and go from there.

The way I look at it you win some, you lose some. The straight forward jobs make up for the b*stards.

Can't bring myself to do it, this is one of my sticking points, have a price in my head, then it always drops when I come to tell the customer what they owe

Be strong :)

Just remember you have bills to pay.

accurate estimates all the way. If they want it quoted, ÂŁ500 on the estimate and work like a coloured gent to be out in 2 days not 4, makes me happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to quotes and estimates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test, occasionally you get a small leak from the air test typically old cap ends/scratched pipe which shows up easily on the test without having to inspect anything...
Replies
Views
A few months ago I wanted to connect a 1000l water butt (fabricated from galv steel) to our washing machine. After trawling many forums and websites for advice the general consensus was don't bother. I like a challenge so connected up the butt initially with nothing else in line, the washer...
Replies
Views
Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I should be going 10-60 degs in 30-40 mins by my maths. Don't even mention trying to heat HW and CH at the same time. 30 mins with the immersion adds...
Replies
Views
Had a quote for a new boiler installation. Quote said... Power Flush require and install new boiler, ==== After the boiler was started, it was making horrible noises == I mentioned this and sent an audio recording to the company. ==== Said that is normal boiler noise even though it shakes the...
Replies
Views
Hey, forum friends! 👋 Excited to introduce Master Drain Ltd, your go-to expert for top-notch drain installation and repair services. Here's what sets us apart: 🔧 Seamless Installation: When it comes to drain installation, precision is key. Our skilled team at Master Drain Ltd ensures that your...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock