Search the forum,

Discuss Water Butt supply to Washing Machine in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

A few months ago I wanted to connect a 1000l water butt (fabricated from galv steel) to our washing machine. After trawling many forums and websites for advice the general consensus was don't bother. I like a challenge so connected up the butt initially with nothing else in line, the washer threw a pressure fault as expected when the water level in the butt became low. I had a pump looking for a new purpose in life, but it needed controlling on demand of the washer. After some searching I bought a Trotec DSP switch, installed an inline water filter just before the washing machine and it has worked faultlessly for months. No green clothes, no smelly clothes as had been suggested. Because we have solar panels and a 5.5kW battery, the power for the pump is not an issue/no cost. The filters get replaced every 6 months or so (at a cost of about £1 each) so I would recommend it, if you can. Saving 50l of water each wash, with 2 children and 2 adults who do football, squash, netball, cycling, etc I estimate it saves us £70 a year in water (in and out). I hope this inspires someone else to follow suit. Its good for the world too.

Reply to Water Butt supply to Washing Machine in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock