Search the forum,

Discuss Question from an Industrial Design Student developing tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bastrouw

Dear Forum readers,

My name is Bas Trouw, 23 and student Industrial Design in Enschede, the Netherlands. I am currently doing a project for a large German Tool Manufacturer. For this project, I have to develop a new set of pliers/handtools.

For inspiration and idea's I would like to ask you to tell me all of your:

- irritations regarding existing tools. These could be caused by limitations of the tools for example
- Problems in and around the house that could use a tool to solve the problem.
- Own idea's for a new type of tool (you must be thinking sometimes: "they should make a tool for this")

I hope you guys can help me. All the help is appreciated!!!

thank you!

Bas Trouw

A pair of water pump pliers that work with a ratchet action, and can move around compression fittings that are fitted on the pipe that is clipped to the wall might be good.

Carbon fibre kevlar reinforced composite Footprints and Cobras.

That stuff they use in F1 cars that is 20 times the strength of steel

A pair of water pump pliers that work with a ratchet action, and can move around compression fittings that are fitted on the pipe that is clipped to the wall might be good.
i was thinking this long time ago as it could be handy tool to have

i was thinking this long time ago as it could be handy tool to have
What am i missing? How can it be better to have for domestic/commercial plumbers? On industrial you wind threads in for ages, but a ratchet would break in no time.

I can use Footprints as fast as a ratchet spanner, it would just be an unnecessary tool imo

Loved to be proved wrong though

A set of parallel smooth jawed plyers with extended "teeth" so you could use them between pipes.

or a set strong enough that can be "locked" into position and flogged with a hammer.

Hi SafegassInstal,

Thanks you! could you explain to me why it is important to keep the pipe work steady? How do regular pipe cutters fail you at the moment?

Hi SafegassInstal,

Thanks you! could you explain to me why it is important to keep the pipe work steady? How do regular pipe cutters fail you at the moment?

He doesn't mean the pipe work has to be steady. He means it is an existing pipe fixed into position that needs cutting normally with a 12 -15mmm gap all around.
Is there commission in this? :smile:

He doesn't mean the pipe work has to be steady. He means it is an existing pipe fixed into position that needs cutting normally with a 12 -15mmm gap all around.
Is there commission in this? :smile:
yes there is and i get a cut :smoking:

An adjustable spanner with no movement in the jaw and very small stepped but locked width positions with the ability to release easily if it gets jammed on the nut.

existing spanners have to much play in them and if the nut mis shapes which is fairly common on brass and soft metals they get stuck. Ill PM you my delivery address for the first pair.

Last edited:
existing spammers have to much play in them and if the nut mis shapes

eh?what you do to spammers is your own business

Last edited by a moderator:
A tool that throttles the useless apprentice/helper automatically when they are on their phone.

A tool to square of and set depth of drilling holes through joists. I have no trouble doing this with a tape measure but apprentices seem to really struggle to drill a straight set of holes

It would be very handy to have a large enough profile gauge to go around toilets and hand basins etc so that when you are tiling or laying flooring the job is made less fraught.

1 - A device for cutting copper which is clipped to a wall.
2 - A quality adjustable spanner with a quick release for if it bites too tighly
3 - A device that heats up copper pipe for soldering which does not use an open flame, maybe a heating element which clips to the pipe.
4 - Smoke Pellets which contain nicotine for when my e-cigarette runs out

3. Already out there - Yorkshire electric ring !

1. Pipe slice and grips

4. I thought they did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question from an Industrial Design Student developing tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock