Search the forum,

Discuss Primatic Radiator change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave2014

Hello All
I'm a competent DIYer, fitted bathroom/kitchen but never really dealt with the central heating system.
I want to replace a old single cast iron radiator for a new double convector radiator to increase the warmth in the room. So i started to do a little research on my setup.
I have an old system with an ageing potterton kingfisher 2 boiler, a hot water cylinder tank and a single water tank in the loft. After searching the internet looking at systems that didn't quite fit i came across the Primatic CH system which seems to match mine and is likely as system was fitted in the early 80's.
This system works very well and has never given me any problems (10 years!!) so i dont really want to replace this system at the moment even though a newer system would be alot more efficient for the future.

anyway back to my radiator,
Do you need special radiators for Primatic systems as its not recommended to put inhibitor in this type of system?
The old radiator has old fittings so i would need to replace the lockshield valves at each end of the radiator to fit a new modern radiator.
Can you fit a thermostatic valve at one end of the radiator on Primatic systems?

i would need to drain the system to change the valves (unless anyone has any special techniques) i would be very grateful if anyone has anyone got any experience/tips for draining and filling Primatic CH systems?

Dave

get in a plumber with a freezer unit, saves a whole lot of hassle in the long term.

Thanks for all the comedy replies!
When you say snatch it, what exactly do you mean?
Why is draining a primatic system more hassle than its worth? What problems have you encountered?
Dave

Snatching is a term used to replace valves or components of a heating system without draining it.

If you have not been taught how to do it - don't try.
You could end up with the entire systems water coming out of a open pipe and no way to stop it.

If you want to do the job yourself - you're better off just draining the system.

Depending what you want to spend, you could fit a new indirect cylinder / expansion tank, then you could clean system and add inhibitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Primatic Radiator change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock