Search the forum,

Discuss Primatic cylinder replacement in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Plumb Tidy

Gas Engineer
Hi all, i have a primatic cylinder that needs replacing, are we allowed to install new primatic cylinders in this day and age or do i have to install a new vented indirect cylinder. Only asking as i found this quote on a website.

If you have one of these tanks, you should seriously consider upgrading to an indirect system. Would you like to risk washing up in dirty radiator water? If your primatic tank leaks, you can no longer fit these. You have to fit an indirect replacement, which means an additional tank in the loft.

Thanks in advance.

correct tbh they should be removed too easy to have a cross contamination of both systems

correct tbh they should be removed too easy to have a cross contamination of both systems
Cheers Shaun, i phoned a company which sold me one as the customer did not want to upgrade he didn't want a tank in his loft. Fair enough i asked the company and they said they sell a thousand odd a year so people must be replacing them i guess the rule is you cannot install one as a new system but you can replace.

IIRC, one problem with Primatics is you can't put any corrosion inhibitor in the system, which means if the boiler has to be replaced it'll need to be isolated with a plate HX. Make sure your quote includes power flushing as you can expect to find a lot of sludge.

Hi Chuck. That is correct as only the air bubble separates the primary and secondary waters. In practice they work well and accept gravity circulation such as solid-fuel but have a limited primary expansion capacity which means you can't really fit a huge number of radiators.

I grew up with a Primatic, and have a customer still happily using one. Neither of us have suffered contaminated DHW, but both systems used gravity circulation for cylinder heating. Perhaps they work more reliably without a pump?

Pretty sure there's a section in the WRAS so-called 'blue book' regarding single feed indirect cylinders. I don't think they are banned, but the cost of them makes me think I would investigate the cost of an indirect cylinder.

Reply to Primatic cylinder replacement in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock