Discuss Primary circuit water boiling over in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brooksie

One of my customers has a standard vented hot water and heating system. The boiler is oil fired, the pump is on the return to the bolier and it has a 3 way diverter valve with normal controller, room stat, cylinder stat etc.

When the hot water or the central heating or both are called for the bolier fires up and within about 10 mins 'boiling' water overflows from the vent pipe into the central heating feed and expansion tank with lots of 'pipe banging' from the airing cupboard. After about 10 more minutes the boliing water overflowing stops and then 20 mins later it can happen again. The central heating seems to work and there is hot water at the taps.

The system has recently had a power flush thinking it could be a blockage in the primary circuit but post the flush the symptoms are the same.

Can anyone help or suggest further test we should do?

Thanks
Martin

Well if heating and hot water both working ,would think boiler thermostate faulty causing overheating

Have you checked the temperature of the primaries, I would suspect the boiler
thermostat is faulty.

Pump or overheat stat sounds like.

Check boiler flow and return temps against boiler stat setting perhaps?

Let's be honest a boiler should shut down quite a bit before the system temp reaches 100C of boiling?

So why isn't it shutting down?

Could be an airlock, I've known things like that happen on systems, but I assume all rads have been checked for air and circulation?

So if it was working okay and now its not and there is no sludge or air in the system and proper circulation is taking place, the cold feed from the expansion tank is clear, I suppose it then seem to point to something having gone wrong with a system component.

The most likely are the pump, diverter, thermostats or the boiler shut down mechanism not responding to the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Primary circuit water boiling over in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. The overflow pipe drips intermittently from the large cold water storage tank in the loft. Not the small F and...
Replies
Views
S
Happy New Year everyone! I need a little help on figuring out what's wrong with my central heating (CH) system. I'm in a new house, and I know...
Replies
Views
Sam Wain
S
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached...
Replies
Views
Hi there Hoping for some advice on a plumbing issue. Bit of background - currently I am not using my gas central heating system. The system is 20+...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock