Discuss Pressure release valve on converted vented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks

A customer pointed out a small drip from an overflow pipe coming from a pressure release valve of a heating system they have had converted from being a vented system. The issue would seem to be that the pressure release valve (3 bar is letting by).

My intention was simply to go in and replace their PRV. However it occurs to me that 3 bar seems a little low and is quite likely to blow with the least variation in the water pressure* and hence subsequently let by. Should I maybe install a slightly higher pressure PRV this time or perhaps you might have some other suggestion?

Many thanks

Michael

*They are mind you, 2/3 the way up on a hill which probably means that pressure is generally a little on the low side.

:iagree: your post shows up a great lack of knowledge michcosg. I'd advise that you go no further, explain to your customer that your knowledge is limited and would advise that they get someone else to look at the problem!!

michcosg, just wondering if you could tell us why the pressure 'relief' valve is 3 bar :)

Hi MIchel ,

I know Michel we worked together on a site about three weeks ago . Michel does not have a much experience but is a good person .
Michel as above , it will be better if a heating engineer have a look .

Stan

Last edited:
Hi MIchel ,

I know Michel we worked together on a site about three weeks ago . Michel does not have a much experience but is a good person .

Stan

Must still be lots of work going on down there if ''Michel'' is still in work

Hi MIchel ,

Stan

I think Michel got the message Stan? Hopefully we haven't put him off coming back :) We've all got to learn somehow and this place offers the avenue to learn if you can take the flack now and again :)

I spoke to Michel and invited him here to be regular as he will have ability to learn the theory hear , practice as I advised him I will take him on when I get some business going as I have finished the 8 houses and the builder is not doing any more

It all comes with experience i hope he gets the chance to achieve his goals in these tight times

Yes OK its been about a month since I looked at this side issue whilst looking at a few other problems with their taps etc. And yes I accept I am not Gas Safe and have limited exposure to diagnosing a fault with a converted system such as this.

It would seem on reflection that I have confused the pressure release valve on a mains supply into an unvented cylinder with the pressure release valve on a now closed heating circuit.

To answer Bob the plumbers question: why do I think the pressure 'relief' valve is set to 3 bar - I would have said that is to protect the conventional copper cyclinder. Still seems a bit low to me but notice that the PRV on my combi is also 3 bar so I guess its about right!

However I would ask the question, is really necessary to have someone of considerably more experience in this area to swap out a faulty part? Non Gas Safe plumbers engage with heating systems in many ways I am sure. Have you always known so much about something you have explored? I accept I could do with some guidance. However are people suggesting, that given what I have now stated here, still betrays an unacceptable level of understanding?

That said I do appreciate the feedback and will consider passing this job to Gas Safe colleague if that seems to be the consensus.

Many thanks

michcosg, i dont think theres anything wrong with changing a part. But i believe you need to know why it needs changing and what the implications are if you change it for something that is or isnt correct, thats where the training comes in. In this instance you looked at a converted open vented system, so prv is external to regular /standard boiler generally. It could have an expansion problem which has caused it to drip/pass albeit just a knackered prv?? in changing the prv to a higher limited prv say 6 bar or more it would be the entire system that has to contain that excess pressure thus putting massive strain on pipe work and the integrity of the boiler and parts. next thing you know prv has not blown off ...but part of the pipe work or boiler in the house causing a terrible mess at the least, and if its overheating its extremely dangerous!. know you limits, there is stuff out there that even myself as a qualified engineer would walk away from maybe because im not 100% sure and wouldnt take the risk, but im in a better postition to ask with my current experience and qualifications, its knowing your limits like i said...stick to what you know. safegas says your a good lad, so i know you will not mess around with it because you know know the risks enough to decided against it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure release valve on converted vented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back