Discuss pressure reducing valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - called out to a property yesterday. The guy was complaining the toilet cistern was noisy filling and the valve closed with a thump. I found by closing down the main stopcock it solved the problem, The stopcock is now just about one half turn open , there is still plenty flow at the taps and the cistern fills quietly , but wondering if should recommend fitting a pressure reducing valve. Never fitted one before

thanks

dave

Was there an electric shower fitted? If so turning down the stop-valve that much will affect the peformance. Was there not an isolating valve at the cistern? Sound like a problem at the ballvalve

Was there an electric shower fitted? If so turning down the stop-valve that much will affect the peformance. Was there not an isolating valve at the cistern? Sound like a problem at the ballvalve

Scotty I have to disagree with you, why would there be a problem with the ball valve? just sounds like v. high pressure.
Also shutting down isolator on cistern will cause excessive noise if it is high pressure, Pressure reducing valve way to go imo

If this problem is a new problem on an existing system. I would of thought it would of been the diaphragm

Maybe even fitted a 1212pt4 with flow restricters

Scotty I have to disagree with you, why would there be a problem with the ball valve? just sounds like v. high pressure.
Also shutting down isolator on cistern will cause excessive noise if it is high pressure, Pressure reducing valve way to go imo
Most cistern ball valves should be able to cope with high pressure water, If it makes a thudding noise when shutting-off i would be pretty sure that it would be a torbeck style inletvalve there fore i would change it to brass styled one ( if possible) as they shut off more gradually which would prevent the thudding.

Getting a lot of pressure problems here in the SW, due to water board relining pipes, shower / taps / ball valves ect not likeing it also combi - boilers so best to fit PRV to serve all of house.

You could also considder fitting a shock arrestor, especially if fitting a prv you'll need an expansion vessel :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Diamond an expansion vessel is not required on a cold water main?

Diamond an expansion vessel is not required on a cold water main?

I thought it was required if you fit a pressure reducing valve! What takes up the expansion of the cold water in the pipework of the house when the heating comes on and heats it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pressure reducing valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all - hoping to get some advice here on a plumbing issue in our house. When we are showering / filling the bath and another appliance draws...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
Hi, all. I have a leak problem behind the washing machine. It's a pipe that is leaking directly into a drain. It used to drip but now is leaking a...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock