Discuss Potterton kingfisher 2. no hw or is there? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi

My last job last night, i arrive there and the customer says he has no hw. CH is ok. I go to his timer and turn the HW on boiler fires up.

After 10 minutes the water is coming out the tap lukewarm.

After writing out my paperwork, i'm speaking to him and he tells me he was away for a few days and when he came back he had no hw, i told him he has to give it time to heat the cylinder, he seems under the impression that within 10 minutes he will have a whole cylinder of steaming hot water. As it wasn't he would turn it off again assuming it was not working.

I don't have time to hang around on these jobs (insurance), so the fact the water was coming through warmish after a little wait i can only put it down to user error.

Im not really familiar with this set up. there as no diverter valve from what i could see. 28mm pipe at the cylinder so is this gravity hw?

Anyone else more clued up? Why would this system give problems on HW?

Sounds like gravity hot water and pumped heating.
Always check the expansion tank ball valve has not stuck. Heating still works but the gravity circuit struggles to circulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
As above, it's gravity hot water. It will take about 45 mins to heat from cold.
Always ask the customer first. Has it been ok in the past, how long have you lived here, has anyone worked on the system lately. etc. You can save a lot of time doing this.
After that turn the hot water heating on, check if the boiler fires. While its heating, go in the loft and check the water in the f&e. Give the ball valve a push down to make sure. Then go to the cylinder and see if the flow (top) coil connection is getting hot. If it is then he is not leaving it long enough.

As above, it's gravity hot water. It will take about 45 mins to heat from cold.
Always ask the customer first. Has it been ok in the past, how long have you lived here, has anyone worked on the system lately. etc. You can save a lot of time doing this.
After that turn the hot water heating on, check if the boiler fires. While its heating, go in the loft and check the water in the f&e. Give the ball valve a push down to make sure. Then go to the cylinder and see if the flow (top) coil connection is getting hot. If it is then he is not leaving it long enough.

Thanks, checked top connection - getting hot. I did say leave it on for an hour and there should be plenty of hot water.

If i don't hear back this weekend, i will have to assume he wasn't leaving it on long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton kingfisher 2. no hw or is there? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock