Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton kingfisher 2. no hw or is there? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi

My last job last night, i arrive there and the customer says he has no hw. CH is ok. I go to his timer and turn the HW on boiler fires up.

After 10 minutes the water is coming out the tap lukewarm.

After writing out my paperwork, i'm speaking to him and he tells me he was away for a few days and when he came back he had no hw, i told him he has to give it time to heat the cylinder, he seems under the impression that within 10 minutes he will have a whole cylinder of steaming hot water. As it wasn't he would turn it off again assuming it was not working.

I don't have time to hang around on these jobs (insurance), so the fact the water was coming through warmish after a little wait i can only put it down to user error.

Im not really familiar with this set up. there as no diverter valve from what i could see. 28mm pipe at the cylinder so is this gravity hw?

Anyone else more clued up? Why would this system give problems on HW?

Sounds like gravity hot water and pumped heating.
Always check the expansion tank ball valve has not stuck. Heating still works but the gravity circuit struggles to circulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
As above, it's gravity hot water. It will take about 45 mins to heat from cold.
Always ask the customer first. Has it been ok in the past, how long have you lived here, has anyone worked on the system lately. etc. You can save a lot of time doing this.
After that turn the hot water heating on, check if the boiler fires. While its heating, go in the loft and check the water in the f&e. Give the ball valve a push down to make sure. Then go to the cylinder and see if the flow (top) coil connection is getting hot. If it is then he is not leaving it long enough.

As above, it's gravity hot water. It will take about 45 mins to heat from cold.
Always ask the customer first. Has it been ok in the past, how long have you lived here, has anyone worked on the system lately. etc. You can save a lot of time doing this.
After that turn the hot water heating on, check if the boiler fires. While its heating, go in the loft and check the water in the f&e. Give the ball valve a push down to make sure. Then go to the cylinder and see if the flow (top) coil connection is getting hot. If it is then he is not leaving it long enough.

Thanks, checked top connection - getting hot. I did say leave it on for an hour and there should be plenty of hot water.

If i don't hear back this weekend, i will have to assume he wasn't leaving it on long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton kingfisher 2. no hw or is there? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I should be going 10-60 degs in 30-40 mins by my maths. Don't even mention trying to heat HW and CH at the same time. 30 mins with the immersion adds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please. Have been noticing recently some odd behaviour with our hot water system. If we go away for the weekend, leave Friday afternoon and back Sunday night, the hotwater is lukewarm at best up our return Sunday evening. I then need...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Hi, would appreciate any thoughts on the below. I have an almost 10yr old Ferroli Modena 32S HE system boiler. (I am aware of their reputation! ) 2 weeks ago HW went lukewarm. When HW was called, the rads came on. The cylinder motorised valve has been replaced today, but it's not fixed the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock