Discuss Positive Presure Testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ifatfirst

need to do a positive pressure test using a gas anaylizer. what type of gas appliance is best to do this test on, my mentor is leaving it up to me to sort out as part of my training, so i thought i would ask the forum>

need to do a positive pressure test using a gas anaylizer. what type of gas appliance is best to do this test on, my mentor is leaving it up to me to sort out as part of my training, so i thought i would ask the forum>

its probably just me but i dont understand what you mean by a positive pressure test, do you mean a check on the combustion chamber seal of a positive pressure boiler? if so i dont use an anaylser for this but a lit taper, any leaks on the seal blows out the flame,

As kirkgas says, you need to confirm from your mentor what he wants you to do as with a positive pressure gas appliance you will test the case seal with a lit taper. Do you have the Corgi Essential Gas Safety (5th Edition) book? If so read page 332 to 338.

My college tutor suggested using a FGA around the case seals of a positive pressure boiler, though he did say that it's far more common to use safety matches.

Unless there has been a recent TB released that I am not aware of, it is not standard practice to test for the integrity of a positive pressure seal using a FGA.
The procedure as far as I am aware is to use a smoke match or preferably a smoke pen as it gives a much more controllable burn.

Thanks for all your comments so far.
I am building my portfolio, training through Logic Certification, and one of the tasks that i must do is a positive pressure test. I understand that this test is carried out on a combi boiler. I was told that this must be carried out using a flue gas anaylizer. As per pages 332 to 335 of 5th edition I understand that you check and inspect the case seals, then you must use the flue gas anaylizer to check for POC`s.
I think that this may be a different way of testing, as my 2 mentors say the same, as they use a smoke match/pen to test.
Still confused but................

I used a smoke pen/match to test the soundness of a positive pressure cover and as far as I am still aware this is the correct procedure.
I believe this is the correct approved method, using a FGA is not. If I brought out a FGA for for the positive pressure test during my ACS I would have got hit in back of head with it.
The odd Positive boiler I have come across has been tested with a smoke match.

Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Just dug out the corgi book (5th ed). No where that I can see does it mention using a FGA to test the integrity of the positive pressure seal, but it does mention in my BPEC safety manual that a FGA may be used in addition to a smoke match/taper.

Last edited:
agree with everyone with the positive fanned boilers, a lighter or match is the correct test,

It may also be talking about room combustion testing with your FGA as per the same british standards that deal with appliance testing.

Gb-gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Positive Presure Testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer &...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
I'll pop this into the general advice forum as it seems the most active, but mods - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate. Thank...
Replies
Views
Hi All. I have an issue with a boiler in a small flat I purchased that has very old vented system boiler currently fitted. Both boiler and water...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock