Discuss Plumbing design for horse washing station... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi . Trying to work out best way to get hot water to two horse washing stables. What is there now is a block of old stables. At one end is two large water tanks feeding each stable water troughs. They want hot water to wash the horses down using the last two stables which is 50m away from cold tanks. If I put a cylinder with 2 immersion heaters below cold water tanks then the hot water would have to travel 50m at 0.2 bar pressure to point of use.could take a while.
I could put the hot water cylinder near the end stables being used with supply from cold tank insulated, but if I run the vent pipe back to the cold water tanks that is 50m away. Does the vent pipe have to vent over cold water tank?
Putting a combination tank height in the stables is going to be difficult as no where to build a platform and suspect old beams may not hold 160kgs
Any suggestions would be welcome

Assuming that the horses will be washed down with some form of shower hose, then a Galaxy mains heater will heat the water on demand. They heat mains water as it passes through the unit, much in the same way as a electric shower. The electrical supplies must be treated like a electric shower and terminate with a RCD.

Galaxy GAP95 Powerstream Unvented Instant Water Heater 9.5kW | NoLinkingToThis

Thanks for quick reply. The maximum I could have is 2 x 7kw ( 2 stables 2 showers) Would a 7kw be any good or is the flow rate too poor.
Can you run a mixer tap off these. ?

The problem with using any form of instantaneous heater for washing the horses is compliance with the water regulations. Agricultural use is Category 5 so an air gap is required. To achieve this you'd need a break tank and a pump.

The problem with using any form of instantaneous heater for washing the horses is compliance with the water regulations. Agricultural use is Category 5 so an air gap is required. To achieve this you'd need a break tank and a pump.

So all those qualifications do count for something! Top advice there mike.

Thanks I was thinking if I go mains water route then I have to have the hose suspended high from an arm into centre of stable. Hose pipe short enough not to reach the floor to give air gap. and the usual double check valve..Giving category 5 prototection

Back onto the hot water cylinder option does the vent pipe have to go back to the cold tank. As it is used for expansion and if high enough should never vent water. Could this vent on to roof.?

I have used Galaxy heaters in Portacabins and out buildings in plenty of farms and never had any problems over regs as long as the electricity is RCD'd and double check valves are fitted at the water inlet. They can supply 2 basins or 1 basin and a shower and offer a good solution where it's not possible to supply hot water from a cylinder.

Do you think a 12kw would do two showers or would the on off flow rate of one shower mess with the other showers temperature.

One of these units would struggle with 2 showers on at the same time. You really need 2 x 9kw ones. The flow rate from these are excellent though as they are supplied from the mains.

Look on their website for the different models and a solution should be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing design for horse washing station... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock