Discuss Pilot light in boiler keeps going out, but only when boiler is warm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice really.
I have a Glowworm Ultimate boiler which looks like this:

I have a very strange problem with it in that if the boiler is cold and I switch it on, the pilot light comes on, stays on and the boiler kicks in fine. However, after around 20 minutes, the pilot light starts going out every few seconds and the boiler sparks to re-ignite the flame. It's a blue flame, I can't see any orange.
If the boiler has already been on for a while, if I turn it off for 15 minutes or so and then start it up again, it ignites fine but then after 5 minutes or so, I have the same issue with the pilot light again.
It's as though the issue with the pilot light is dependant on how warm the boiler is.

Would this indicate that the thermocouple needs replacing?

Thanks for any assistance :)

As your not gas safe please put the cover back on and call a pro in

Hi Shaun, I haven't taken the cover off - boiler in the video isn't mine, it's just the same model.
I'm just looking for some advice on what the problem could be.

Hi Shaun, I haven't taken the cover off - boiler in the video isn't mine, it's just the same model.

That’s good but I’m afraid you would still need a registered gas engineer to sort the issue as it’s a boiler fault sorry to say

No worries mate. You still need a registered gas engineer to sort you out on this one.

That’s good but I’m afraid you would still need a registered gas engineer to sort the issue as it’s a boiler fault sorry to say
Yep, I'm definitely going to call a professional out, I don't intend trying to fix this myself.
I'm asking about this issue so I can get a better idea of the problem, so I can get a better idea of how much I would be looking at paying a professional to fix the issue. I've moved to a new area and I don't know anyone around here yet, so if someone just came along and told me they'd have to fit a new boiler, I wouldn't have anything else to go on.

Sorry but any info we would provide could allow someone else to have a go at fixing theirs & they would be breaking the Law.
Phone a couple of GSR up explain the problem & get them to give you a price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pilot light in boiler keeps going out, but only when boiler is warm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and...
Replies
Views
I am having a problem with my main 24he boiler where the flame is constantly clicking on and off with the heating and when using hot water. Some...
Replies
Views
I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Optimistic
Hi, I've got a ferroli 901 boiler, I initially thought the pcb was at fault so bought a new one and I'm having the same problem ( has been...
Replies
Views
F
Hi, My 2014 Crown Boiler has a spark ignition system that is malfunctioning. When I turn the boiler power switch off and back on, the pilot light...
Replies
Views
Back