Search the forum,

Discuss Outside tap and double check valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rpettipher

The outside tap at the back of the house has stopped working. Only a trickle of water emerges.
However I can force water back from the tap to the kitchen at the front of the house (and where the water main arrives).
I understand that this should not be possible because there should be a double check valve. Is it possible for such a valve to go faulty and allow water to flow only in the wrong direction?

Unfortunately I cannot find the valve.
The pipe disappears through the back wall of the kitchen cabinet, apparently serving both the outside tap in front of the house as well as that at the rear. A pipe then emerges from the rear wall of the house where the tap is fixed. (Another pipe emerges from the front wall for the front tap.)

The front tap works fine. The front tap also appears to contain a double check valve. The tap at the rear of the house does not - I have removed it from the wall, and still only a trickle of water emerges from the pipe.

Do I have to demolish the back of the kitchen cabinet to get at the pipes or have I missed something?

Thanks for any clues.

Yes sorry to say somthing definitely wrong if you have had decent flow before if there is a double check fitted may be stuck open a tiny bit allow not much through

Yes, but it allows a good flow in the wrong direction - seems a strange failure mode ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap and double check valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in the picture. Not sure what the thing is to the right of the stopcock? I’ve also taken the inners out of the outside tap and turned on the water again...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and...
Replies
Views
I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from running. This valve does seem very stiff. I am assuming I have to turn the value clockwise since if I turn it anti-clockwise it actually starts dripping...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a few mixer taps to install in bathrooms and kitchen. The kitchen tap also has a wondering spray arm capability. On researching something else, i stumbled across people saying that a check valve should be placed on the cold mains feed. How can I tell if the mixer taps/spray arm mix...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock