Search the forum,

Discuss Can't isolate outside tap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from running. This valve does seem very stiff. I am assuming I have to turn the value clockwise since if I turn it anti-clockwise it actually starts dripping into the cupboard. Anyway, it won't turn off whether I turn it clockwise or anticlockwise. I am assuming some sort of fault with this valve? It is an easy job to fix? Thanks in advance.

Sorry about that. I'll try again!
The tap in the photo (which is under my utility room sink and is supposed to isolate the water supply to a tap in my garden) doesn't actually seem to isolate the water supply. That is basically it!
I have tried turning it both ways. However, the garden tap still runs.

Attachments

• IMG_4326.jpg
    IMG_4326.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 14
It might take a good 5 minutes to turn off

How many turns are you turning that tap ?

Well I attached a hosepipe and left it running but a good 5 minutes but there was no sign of it stopping. I think the stopcock is frozen up but I don't want to force it in case it breaks and I end up with a flood or something. Surely turning the water off shouldn't be so difficult!

So it doesn’t turn ?

And how did you turn it off ?

Reply to Can't isolate outside tap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in the picture. Not sure what the thing is to the right of the stopcock? I’ve also taken the inners out of the outside tap and turned on the water again...
Replies
Views
My outside tap has had really low pressure after the cold weather a few weeks ago. Its connected from under the kitchen sink, and can be isolated from turning a flat head screw type thing a quarter turn. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Replies
Views
Hi I'd be very grateful for any advice. My Ariston microGenus boiler is at least 20 years old. Every few years I've had to repressurize it. I've lost the note I had about how to do that. The boiler has two blue taps underneath. The rhs one turns clockwise. The lhs one is so stiff I can't move...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am going to a job tomorrow where the customar says they have a 1 inch square valve head (what i would call a fire hydrant valve, maybe theres another name) in a manhole that turns the wrong way ie. Anticlockwise is off and clockwise is on. I'm in the Midlands and customer says some...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock