Discuss One for the country folk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pipedream

Good evening from darkest and deepest Wales.

I have a customer who has just bought a two bedroom two bathroom stone cottage and large out building which they are hoping to convert to a three bed two bathroom holiday let.

They have an oil fired range cooker / boiler, which they are not happy with.

They have a private water supply from a well about 200 metres away from and about 15 metres higher than the property.

The water source is a 2 metre deep, 1 metre wide well. The supply to the house is via 3/4 inch (I think) black plastic pipe and is not pumped.

The water enters the house and immediately reduces to 15mm copper. Someone has installed a Grundfoss House booster (looks just like a heating circulation pump.)

The pump serves the kitchen tap and fills the Cold Water Cistern which feeds all of the other cold taps. They have a small vented cylinder and as the cistern is only a couple of feet above the cylinder, the upstairs water pressure is poor. There is no space in the roof void for a bigger cistern. The customer has plans for the space the current cistern is occupying.

The pressure at the kitchen tap is about 0.8 bar and the flow rate is around 6 litres a minute.

They are keen to install an external oil fired system boiler and a large unvented cylinder with spare coils for solar and or heat pump in the future.

I have considered a submersible pump in the well with an expansion vessel in the house, however the well is on the other side of a public road with no obvious way of getting power to it. I am also not sure if a submersible pump would cope with the distance

I was thinking about finding a suitable location between the well and the house and putting in as large a tank as I can get in, preferably buried, upgrading the supply pipe from this tank to the house and pumping the water from the tank, again utilising an expansion vessel.

My logic is that this intermediate tank will act as extra storage which can be topped up from the well, whilst allowing sufficient pressure / flow to allow the customer to benefit from unvented

Any one any thoughts / ideas particularly on supplier for such items particularly the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm thinking the supply pipe 3/4" needs to be bigger but look here give them a ring, they know everything about pumps and pumping

I would say that all you need to do is boost the supply from the tank in loft

But speak to Grundfos. Even get them there for a site visit and they will spec it all for you

I would say that all you need to do is boost the supply from the tank in loft

But speak to Grundfos. Even get them there for a site visit and they will spec it all for you

Simon they want an unvented cylinder

Ok. But if the supply is poop. Use the current cwsc. Boost it to say 3bar. And robs your mothers brother. No need to alter the pump in well or major alterations to pipe work

We have a bore hole and pressure/flow rate is pathetic - our's is pumped up to the cistern in the loft with a float valve.

Our neighbours have a bore hole and their pressure and flow rate is perfectly acceptable. They have a second pump at the edge of the house and while the hot water is supplied via the cistern the cold is on demand from the pump and makes a great difference.

And if the cistern is 20 gallon? how long is that going to last

Ok. I'll shut up. I did suggest getting Grundfos there to spec system.

There's something wrong with the Home booster if you only get 0.8 bar at the tap, I'd expect that pressure directly from the water source.

My Son has a private water supply, with a 70mtr head over the property, the incoming pressure to the property is over 6bar and the water travels 750mtrs to get there thro a 32mm OD mdpe pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One for the country folk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live most of the year on a tiny Caribbean island with no mains water. I collect rain in a 25,000 gallon cistern which is then pumped to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
For residential housing, what are the current regulations and/or recommended/standard practices regarding the supply of cold water to the taps on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, we have a water circulation pump to bring hot water from our woodburning stove and send it to a thermal accumulator tank. We've just...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock