Search the forum,

Discuss Oil tank - fill with boiler not connected (yet)? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

S80

Hi Guys,

I'm having a new oil CH system installed from scratch. The installer has fitted the new tank, but has yet to do the boiler and rads. He has fitted the tank filter valve, and sealed off the pipe outlet with a 3/8 BSP blanking plug. He has asked for me to get an initial fill of 500 litres, for when he comes back to finish the job (he's away on holiday at the moment) and commission the boiler.

Unfortunately, a delivery driver has refused to fill the tank on the grounds that the boiler wasn't connected, and that it was 'unsafe' :annoyed: Is there any reason why this should be so?

Cheers,
David

Price`s go up Monday? lol

Sorry mate I couldn`t resist.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Delivery driver is wrong if the joints are done correctly. In fact, it should be much safer plugged off like that and is normal practise to do that over here, if oil pipe going in later.
But the delivery guy has to access every fill up and if he sees something obviously risky, then it is his perogative to refuse to fill up.
I would have challenged him on what he alleges is wrong.
Perhaps your plumber has made a bad job, but more likely your delivery guy is being too cautious. You could try asking the oil firm or just try another.
By the way, what price is kerosine in your area? At this minute I can get 900litre for £281 and £164 for 500 litre and its dropping each day. It is slightly cheaper here to order 900litre minimum.
Edit - Just re read your post. If the driver says it is "unsafe" because not connected to a boiler yet, then he is wrong if it has a 3/8" plug jointed properly into outlet.

Last edited:
If you can get involved in a collective then even better because the price per litre could realistically be reduced by 4-6p.

The oil companies would rather deliver to a number of properties in the same area at the same time because it's cheaper for them, and as a collective you would effectively be buying in bulk, albeit in different tanks

so what does this driver do when filling dieso tanks with a hose on the end? bit of a muppet!!

Delivery driver is entitled to refuse delivery if in his opinion it is unsafe. Trouble is normally the drivers dont bother and just stick the oil in because if they dont another company will.

Had similar experience when renewing tank at Nursing Home. Obviously heating could not be connected to empty tank. Checked with OFTEC and also with Distributer's professional body, Both could give no reason for refusal to fill tank. Isolating valve, filter and plug fitted.
In future prior to plug I would bury end of pipe in ground to avoid trying to reason with idiot delivery drivers.

Thanks Chaps,

Here are some pics of the tank:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Looking a bit closer at the plug, it has a hex insert for an allen key - maybe the delivery guy mistook it for an open hole???!

I've spoken to two other oil companies, and they both said 'no problem':icon14:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had assured the driver it is plugged off and give him it in writing, then he might have felt less responsible.
I have heard of things happening like one where an oil delivery guy filled a new oil tank that was connected to its oil line in an empty house. Trouble was the end off pipe terminated inside the house and was open! I heard he opened the oil valve, but whatever happened, all the tank full went inside house.
Another one was the oil man arrived and the plumber had just built the tank walls. Delivery guy asked if the walls were safe, but plumber assured him they were. As the tank was near full, the walls give way to the weight & tank turned over with oil.
So it's understandable for delivery people to be cautious. I know a lot of installs I would refuse to delivery oil

Well, I finally got to the bottom of the problem:smiley2: It seems that, according to this supplier, a disconnected tank means I'm highly likely to be using heating oil to fuel my car:uhoh2: No point arguing otherwise - but they've lost a potential customer for good...

Well, I finally got to the bottom of the problem:smiley2: It seems that, according to this supplier, a disconnected tank means I'm highly likely to be using heating oil to fuel my car:uhoh2: No point arguing otherwise - but they've lost a potential customer for good...

As its a totally new system, I assume you ordered Kerosine?
You should ask the heating oil supplier how does Kerosine work on a modern Diesel engine? :smile:
Also ask them why having an oil line not yet connected to oil tank is any different to just pumping the oil out via the lid on the top of the tank using these manual, or electrical pumps easily got, or just a simple syphon hose you can buy?
But the most obvious thing they forget is the oil line could have been connected to the boiler, but also had a tee off to a valve!!!!!

As its a totally new system, I assume you ordered Kerosine?
You should ask the heating oil supplier how does Kerosine work on a modern Diesel engine? :smile:
Also ask them why having an oil line not yet connected to oil tank is any different to just pumping the oil out via the lid on the top of the tank using these manual, or electrical pumps easily got, or just a simple syphon hose you can buy?
But the most obvious thing they forget is the oil line could have been connected to the boiler, but also had a tee off to a valve!!!!!

Indeed! I did consider arguing that kind of stuff, but soon realised I'd be wasting my breath. They are of course entitled to their opinion - as I am to take my custom elsewhere!

For the avoidance of doubt, Kerosene, 28 sec, will not work in a modern diesel engine although a small quantity was sometimes mixed with diesel to avoid waxing in cold weather.
Gas Oil, 35 sec, might be suitable for diggers and dumpers on site but does not contain the additives necessary for long term performance of modern eco friendly engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil tank - fill with boiler not connected (yet)? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock