Search the forum,

Discuss Non Qualified Workman in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I looking to support a friend who is a local handyman. He does not have any plumbing qualifications but is more than competent and I have seen his work which I think is to a good standard.

Is there a list of work he is legally permitted to carry out? I’m keen to support him but don’t want to void my own insurance etc.

Many thanks.

Tbh plumbing is unregulated

He can’t touch unvented cylinders and gas boiler

He would need to be Gas Safe registered to work on gas as above but so long as he is insured and carries out his work in a 'Workman like manner', complies with all the relevant regulations, standards and instructions, I can't think of anything he can't 'legally' do.
The qualifications come in when, for example:

You have to join something such as a competent persons scheme (CPS) in order to notify work that requires notifying.

Situations where people will require them e.g. Schools, Nursing homes, Hospitals etc but if he is only doing domestic work I can't see them asking.

I know our insurance company never asks for evidence that we are qualified to carry out the work we do but that doesn't mean they won't if something goes wrong, so I would be cautious with thinking your insurance company will cover his work.
Always worth getting it in writing where sub-contractors are concerned. Better still, ask him to insure himself and look at it when he gets it.

Qualifications (decent ones) prove you have studied and learnt a subject to a certain level. There are many things in this job as well as others that you learn during the time spent in college or in an apprenticeship that you didn't know before and wouldn't know, had you not been shown. Some of those things are important and not knowing them can lead to disaster. Just because someone is good at DIY and works neat, doesn't mean that they are doing the job safely or correctly.

Hope this helps.

Correct

Great answer above from last plumber.

I do my own simple plumbing work on generally old fashioned kit (and not gas nor central heating), BUT I always check with my insurance first.

I'm not sure how (if you don't plumb yourself) you know your well meaning friend is competent. There is much more than what you can see, unless you have x-ray vision. Also you only see what you are looking for.

I wouldn't consider myself competent e.g. to work for anyone else. The more I learn the more I realise I don't know.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)

Great answer above from last plumber.

I do my own simple plumbing work on generally old fashioned kit (and not gas nor central heating), BUT I always check with my insurance first.

I'm not sure how (if you don't plumb yourself) you know your well meaning friend is competent. There is much more than what you can see, unless you have x-ray vision. Also you only see what you are looking for.

I wouldn't consider myself competent e.g. to work for anyone else. The more I learn the more I realise I don't know.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)
Thank you.
Dunning-Kruger effect comes into play with this discussion. If you've not heard of it, it's worth a quick look. Here's a link.
No offence or criticism meant to anyone, many of us have experience of it at some point in our lives in my opinion and over all manner of things.

Thank you.
Dunning-Kruger effect comes into play with this discussion. If you've not heard of it, it's worth a quick look. Here's a link.
No offence or criticism meant to anyone, many of us have experience of it at some point in our lives in my opinion and over all manner of things.
I'm sure I have a nasty looking case of Dunning-Kruger 😁

My brain blames my physical inabilities for even being able to start many tasks.

Cheers,

Roy (virtual amateur plumber)

Reply to Non Qualified Workman in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock