Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss No Circulation to radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooly89

Gas Engineer
Hi guys,

Basically I have a customer with a system which is ancient(old 4 pipe back boiler unit as far as I can see) and he was complaining that the boiler would only fire for a short period then shut down but rads weren't getting hot(bad circulation due to pump found to be not moving).

so in short what I have done is to replace the pump (obviously), but due to system design I am unsure whether I have it in the right way, there is obviously no 3 port/two port valves etc(see picture). but a problem seems to still be lying with poor circulation to the radiators. I have not tried back charging a air lock as I don't believe this is the cause(not ruling out though) Just wondered if any one had experience with these types of systems and could point me in roughly the right direction.

also system when drained didn't appear to be overly dirty and pipework to pump almost completely clean.

IMAG0390.jpgIMAG0391.jpg

What did it refill like, is that a combined feed and expansion?

Pump needs to point down, is the gate valve (22mm) open ? poss its faulty replace with full bore leaver valve

pump is pointing down, I'm not 100% on whether the gate valve isn't causing a restriction but temp seemed to be spiking when hand placed on the pipe under it. is there any reason to replace it, is it actually needed?

Yes old system, gate valve is used to turn off heating system in summer, so would be better to replace with leaver, Better still upgrade to a 3 port valve, cyl stat, and other controls rewire etc. depends how much they want to spend, But change gate valve !

Yes old system, gate valve is used to turn off heating system in summer, so would be better to replace with leaver, Better still upgrade to a 3 port valve, cyl stat, and other controls rewire etc. depends how much they want to spend, But change gate valve !

thanks JTS

I have changed the gate valve for a leaver valve and it was pretty much completely closed, still have a problem with circulation though as one rad gets hot but only at the very top(pins were stuck on all trv's) and a few others get mildly warm. I am going to change one of the trv's tomorrow and assess whether it's worth doing all of them and treating the system to try and shift any restrictions in the MICROBORE pipework. I have advised that the system is in dire need of replacement but I believe the customer is making it a case of if can get the system running for now then change the lot in the new year... seems like a waste of money to me though :/

Microbore? That's your answer. It can't be power flushed effectively. I would be recommending a re-pipe f the microbore and update on the controls, with a strong recommendation that a more efficient boiler is installed. May be beyond what the customer expects, but that's the way it is.

thanks JTS

I have changed the gate valve for a leaver valve and it was pretty much completely closed, still have a problem with circulation though as one rad gets hot but only at the very top(pins were stuck on all trv's) and a few others get mildly warm. I am going to change one of the trv's tomorrow and assess whether it's worth doing all of them and treating the system to try and shift any restrictions in the MICROBORE pipework. I have advised that the system is in dire need of replacement but I believe the customer is making it a case of if can get the system running for now then change the lot in the new year... seems like a waste of money to me though :/

Well if money is tight remove & flush out Rads, put a good heavy duty cleaner (F5) in system , leave running for a week on high temp & see if it improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No Circulation to radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
I want to swap a K1 radiator with a P+, the same size on a combi system. Can i turn off both valves, remove the existing radiator, put the new one...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock