Discuss New build plumber doing gas safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I work for a building firm as a plumber, the plumber I work with at the firm is leaving. The firm is on about putting me through my gas, for this would I need to build a gas portfolio? Would other people guessed getting gas safe registered is a good idea? I realize it will mean a bit of paper work?

you'll also need to learn how to do it and follow in someones coat tails to know how and get your portfolio signed off

How many jobs etc is needed for a portfolio? I no how to carry out let by and tightness testing. But have not had much to do with flue gas analyzers.

Analyser is a basic tool u hardly use. It's pipework, calculations and craftsmanship. FGA is muppets excuse for servicing

Could you explain more please?

Let's put it this way.

Gas Safe has just turned the GIUSP on its head. It became live on the first of this month but we won't be given an insight into the changes until August. Even training centres have been caught on the hop.

We are expected to check for industry updates regularly and comply with them immediately.

And if we don't? There's the possibility of a cell door slamming closed behind you.

Still feeling confident?

Let's put it this way.

Gas Safe has just turned the GIUSP on its head. It became live on the first of this month but we won't be given an insight into the changes until August. Even training centres have been caught on the hop.

We are expected to check for industry updates regularly and comply with them immediately.

And if we don't? There's the possibility of a cell door slamming closed behind you.

Still feeling confident?

I no its a lot of responsibility yes, what do you mean when you say even training centers have been caught in the hop?

Last edited:
released as in regulations have changed?

No. The regs haven't changed. Just the classification and treatment of unsafe situations.

You don't really need to know about it because come the time you do your training the changes will be incorporated.

Thanks for the replys, am guessing the firm I work for will need to get a new gas safe plumber in as at the moment there is no one to build a portfolio with.

Thanks for the replys, am guessing the firm I work for will need to get a new gas safe plumber in as at the moment there is no one to build a portfolio with.

either that or they find someone for you to go with

After a gas safe plumber signs off a new house is he responsible for the safety of the gas appliances and pipework on the house for a number of years?

After a gas safe plumber signs off a new house is he responsible for the safety of the gas appliances and pipework on the house for a number of years?

until anything is changed yes

changed or serviced?

changed and if the appliance is serviced its not the original gas fitters problem as it has been serviced by another

However gas qualifications are something most see as essential to progress within plumbing.

some plumbing appliances require gas as well :D

Hence my remark about the cell door.

if we screw up people can die. And that's a constant thought in the back of my head.

you always double think yourself well i do :(

What area of the uk are you from M grant ?

tbh new build is a good place to learn, if your working with somebody who knows the regs and has a good work standard.

Last edited:
I have heard of plumbers in the past saying they weren't bothered for being gas safe. Guess they didn't want the responsibility.

The myth is that being gas qualified mean a better paid job, this is not always the way tho.

Pipe sizing can be fatal, under size and you can have gas escapes, poor combustion etc....

Someone mentioned it was a 2 week course? Sounds abit short?

:D you wont need a portfolio with that one but its the worst one to go for

Was hoping to build a portfolio while working with a gas engineer to get some more experience from working with a gas engineer.

Although I have worked in the plumbing industry for 6 years. A 2 week course to be the gas safe registered sounds short.

sounds like you want the one day a week course from your local collage if you can

Every gas training centre's website I have been on has said you need a portfolio bar the link you sent me are these a one off or are they a lot of places that do it without a portfolio?

Every gas training centre's website I have been on has said you need a portfolio bar the link you sent me are these a one off or are they a lot of places that do it without a portfolio?

they do one but they sort it out in house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New build plumber doing gas safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock