Currently reading:
New bathroom plumbing help please

Discuss New bathroom plumbing help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm very new to plumbing and have successfully put in two sinks and a shower/bath from scratch without any leaks (it did take a long time). The problem I seem to be having at the moment though is that when I use the mixer valve to fill the bath something weird is going on with my water pressure. It starts slowly and then after 10-30 seconds the water pauses very briefly and then full pressure starts.

I haven't noticed a problem with the bathroom sink, but when I turn on the hot water in the kitchen the pressure drops compared to just cold water. I'm not sure if these two issues are related.

Any idea as to what might be happening and how I can attempt to fix it? I had a new boiler installed. Could it be that or my dodgy plumbing???

Much appreciated,

Taryn

Last edited:
The OP seems very keen on DIY' and has took a particular interest in plumbing, maybe he could inquire about local evening classes in basic plumbing or other trades, Who knows he may even think about a change in occupation !

I think the 'he' you are referring to is a 'she'.
( Not that that makes any difference - unless the OP takes offence )

For everyone following this thread I have an interesting update!

1. Good news is that I fixed the delay in water flow by watching a YouTube video and turning the check valves when I flushed the pipework. A bit of persistence, trial and error - and not giving up! Woo hoo! (At this point I was totally loving plumbing!)

2. My celebration was short lived when the water now suddenly wouldn't go cold. Bugger. I knew immediately what this meant - the pipework was backwards!!!! Honestly I couldn't believe I was soooo stupid. I was so careful about making sure the mixer valve was the right way around but somehow STILL managed to mess it up. Again, you live and learn.

3. So then, the instructions with the mixer valve fortunately had instructions on how to fix this problem by pulling out the thermostatic valve and then adjusting something inside....BUT for the life of me I couldn't get it out and didn't want to damage it.

This is most definitely a job that I need a good professional in for. The last thing I want to do is damage my plumbing around the valve and cause a slow leak which would involve pulling out all my tiling and starting over!!!!

Happy to admit I've made a mistake here but certainly won't do it again. Fingers crossed I can find a competent plumber to put this right.

Thanks to all those offering good advice throughout the journey.

Last edited:
Bugger. I knew immediately what this meant - the pipework was backwards!!!! Honestly I couldn't believe I was soooo stupid. I was so careful about making sure the mixer valve was the right way around but somehow STILL managed to mess it up. Again, you live and learn.

3. So then, the instructions with the mixer valve fortunately had instructions on how to fix this problem by pulling out the thermostatic valve and then adjusting something inside....BUT for the life of me I couldn't get it out and didn't want to damage it.

This is most definitely a job that I need a good professional in for.

Thanks to all those offering good advice throughout the journey.

glad you found it, looking at the pics of the shower it looks symmetrical so wouldn't be hard at all to fit it upside down, also helps in the ripping out stage that what ever your ripping out to run hot water through so you know 100% which the hot pipe is as the pipe will be physically hot, unless you can trace pipes back easily.. to undo the actual shower valve may take some force and the force required wont be any less for a plumber im afraid, it might be worth your while taking tiles off and re piping it ,

Hi again!

After a visit from my friend, he confirmed that pulling out the thermostatic valve was not going to be an easy task. He suggested I switch the hot and cold further down the pipes near the end of the bath where the isolator valves are. Genius!

Very happy to report that I managed to fix this. After all it was my mistake in the first place! I expected everything to work after this, but sadly no hot water came out! :(

When I take out the filters and send water through there's no problem with the hot and cold side, but as soon as I put the filters back in, hot water doesn't come through the shower. The thermostatic valve is stopping the hot from coming through for some reason.

I changed the temperature on the combi boiler thinking that might help, but no success.

I have a real plumber coming to look at it tomorrow but for those of you following this thread you may have realised that I REALLY REALLY wanted to solve this myself. Any final suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.

Taryn

I can't help, but my first hunch would have been that something somewhere was deciding the shower was getting too hot and shutting it down, as others have stated.

I'd like to know how this saga ends though, so please keep us posted.

For what it's worth, from the little I've seen of your pipework, even though you've put PTFE on your compression _threads_ (no need - the seal takes place at the 'olive' (compression ring)), you've got two important things right: 1. Your pipes come into the valve nice and square - no spaghetti plumbing and coming into joints under stress. 2. You've bothered to screw the valve to the wall. The two combined suggest you may have bothered to clip your pipework. Nothing against DIYers - how do you think I started out?

If it's a pressure problem, would it shoot out from the filter valve when I open that? It seems really powerful then.

Anyway, it does seem that the thermostatic valve is misbehaving for some reason. I really look forward to seeing how this pans out myself!

Thanks for the feedback Ric, it's really appreciated. I did clip them to the wall and always try to be as conscientious as I can - I'm totally paranoid about leaks which I this is compulsory for a DIYer. (I did the PTFE tape fittings before I read all about that on the forum.)

I have even considered some night classes in the future...I'd like to be much better at plumbing because I really enjoy it.

Update - had a professional in who confirmed there was nothing wrong with my plumbing but that it's a faulty cartridge. Can't bare to wait the five working days for it to be delivered :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New bathroom plumbing help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back