Search the forum,

Discuss Need advice with oil boiler and cooker servicing work!!!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sean2793

Hi guys

im just about to finish my level 3 plumbing and heating course and plan to do the oftec oil boiler course soon after
im plumbing now over 3 years in the the industrial part of plumbing and have not done much work with the domestic side!!the plan however was always to do the servicing course when I was finished my plumbing course

I was just wondering would I need some experience dealing with oil boilers and cookers before doing the course and going out on my own! Or would it be possible to do the course and then just start up on my own and learn along the way

all advice and suggestions welcome!
Cheers!!

Welcome along :)

The oftec course will teach you nothing. You need to get some experience first.

Get hold of a scrap burner if you can. Strip it down and rebuild it.

Start saving for your oil gear and spares as well. You will end up carrying thousands of pounds worth of gear.

Also keep coming back to this forum. Between us we've a wealth of experience and knowledge.

When I sat mine the first time the only experience I had on oil was looking at a sooted up boiler that an oftec engineer couldn't sort. I got it going and my boss then said your going to do your oil tickets next week. They don't teach you anything really just what you need to pass the exam,

I then spent the next year taking ages on breakdowns and getting a few wrong but as I have been ACS for about 11-12 years before hand I got there in the end (they are totally different but I just used to go through the firing sequence etc)

Try speaking to manufacturers and go on some of their courses. The grant one was good.

I think as well you have to show evidence that you have experience on oil before you can do the oftec courses (at least that's what they said on the grant course but I could be wrong)

Did oil last year felt abit crap really as they just went through the books saying highlight this bit highlight that bit ridiculous really exams were **** so was practical they just sent you down there on your own no assessor, but i learnt some bits when the tutor got off track and told stories

I Did nt need to do a portfolio as was gas safe so did n't need any evidence bit bad really as things are abit different from gas but i suppose flues and ventilation are similar for the most part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need advice with oil boiler and cooker servicing work!!!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take me out a couple days of the week to help me get more experience. I did 1 week of work experience at equans doing maintenance but i wouldn’t mind...
Replies
Views
Hello we currently have an old Stanley range cooker in the kitchen and a back burner in the living room. There is also a hot water tank in the bathroom. The plan is to remove the cooker and plumb in a regular external oil boiler. Would it be fine to use the existing flow and return from the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock